A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2020 A8L Build Spec

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default My 2020 A8L Build Spec

So...Here's the potential vehicle build spec I'm noodling around with. Thought about the Black Optics package, but it isn't moving me-- just too much blacked out trim, and I don't care for the blacked-out full width trim bar across the rear tail lights. Guess I'm an old fashioned chrome guy at heart. :-) Don't really need the rear seat comfort package, but I've had it on my last two D4's, and I do occasionally meander into the garage and listen to music stretched out in the rear cabin with the seat in "lounge" position--sort of a therapy session unto itself ;-)) Thoughts???

UPDATE: B&O Advanced Sound System added to option config list.

Last edited by derfA8L; 06-26-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Title revision
Old 05-30-2019, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

Thanks for sharing and for bringing us along for the ride! I had to refer to the US order guide as everything's slightly different than over here!

Some immediate thoughts:

1) Just be aware that with the driver's assistance package there are still numerous bugs that have not been worked out, and there hasn't been much progress from what I can tell from TSBs and from verbatim. This may be more of a nuisance than anything.
2) 20" rims look nice, but if you are after the most supreme ride quality than I would probably ditch them and stick with the 19s. I was very worried about how the 19s would look when I ordered mine and have absolutely 0 regret. The turbine design make them look bigger than they are.
3) I was torn between monsoon grey and vesuvius grey for the longest time as you know. Happy I went with the monsoon, but since you're a detailing fanatic like I am, I'm sure you'd keep the vesivius grey looking great! For me, hindsight wise, I'm glad I didn't go for the Vesuvius grey - I can already see a light film of dust on monsoon after an hour of washing my car - and we wash cars the good ol' way with lots of blood sweat and tears! I think I'd lose my mind by now if I got the nicer albeit more difficult to keep clean grey
4) I'm really surprised the Advanced 3D sound system option isn't on your list!! I know we've talked about this ad nauseum - I would highly encourage it!! I was never a mid/high sound aficionado until my D5!!

All in all, awesome build and I can't wait to read about your journey ahead!! Keep us posted please!
Old 05-30-2019, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't know anything about the D5 cars, but in the D4 cars you lose the seat massage in the passenger seat with the exec package...... I think.....

I would think you would have a passenger more frequently than someone in the back taking advantage of the exec package. Am I missing something?
Old 05-30-2019, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by andrewmr
Don't know anything about the D5 cars, but in the D4 cars you lose the seat massage in the passenger seat with the exec package...... I think.....

I would think you would have a passenger more frequently than someone in the back taking advantage of the exec package. Am I missing something?
Massage seats are part of the executive package and are mutually exclusive from other options.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Massage seats are part of the executive package and are mutually exclusive from other options.
Are you saying you can get a passenger (front) massage seat AND rear exec package?

OK, it may be moot. I just reread the OP and he says comfort package and I translated that to exec package. My bad.

Last edited by andrewmr; 05-30-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Are you saying you can get a passenger (front) massage seat AND rear exec package?
Yup!
Old 05-30-2019, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Thanks for sharing and for bringing us along for the ride! I had to refer to the US order guide as everything's slightly different than over here!

Some immediate thoughts:

1) Just be aware that with the driver's assistance package there are still numerous bugs that have not been worked out, and there hasn't been much progress from what I can tell from TSBs and from verbatim. This may be more of a nuisance than anything.

Yes, I’ve read about the issues, particularly the sign recognition problem. Just discussed this with my dealer’s service manager. Only getting this package to get the active cruise control which I use all the time. Will be turning the sign recognition function OFF immediately.

2) 20" rims look nice, but if you are after the most supreme ride quality than I would probably ditch them and stick with the 19s. I was very worried about how the 19s would look when I ordered mine and have absolutely 0 regret. The turbine design make them look bigger than they are.

Have 20’s now on my D4 and am OK with the ride quality. The suspension on the D5 produces a ride that’s above and beyond the D4. Was very impressed with the D5 ride on my test drive—and that car had 20” wheels, so no problem for me.

3) I was torn between monsoon grey and vesuvius grey for the longest time as you know. Happy I went with the monsoon, but since you're a detailing fanatic like I am, I'm sure you'd keep the vesivius grey looking great! For me, hindsight wise, I'm glad I didn't go for the Vesuvius grey - I can already see a light film of dust on monsoon after an hour of washing my car - and we wash cars the good ol' way with lots of blood sweat and tears! I think I'd lose my mind by now if I got the nicer albeit more difficult to keep clean grey

Ah, I lost my mind years ago ��. I do like Monsoon, but I seem to always gravitate to the darker colors at the end of the day. Yes, I’m a fanatic about keeping my car clean, and that would be the same even for a lighter color, so it’s not a real issue for me—I’d be working as hard be it light or dark color.

4) I'm really surprised the Advanced 3D sound system option isn't on your list!! I know we've talked about this ad nauseum - I would highly encourage it!! I was never a mid/high sound aficionado until my D5!!

No doubt the Advanced system is a higher quality sound system, but it would be mostly wasted on me—especially at the significantly higher price point that would necessitate eliminating a couple of options that are more important to me. But as ordering time gets closer, well, things can change ��

All in all, awesome build and I can't wait to read about your journey ahead!! Keep us posted please!
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. And of course, I’ll post updates as things progress.

Last edited by derfA8L; 05-31-2019 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Are you saying you can get a passenger (front) massage seat AND rear exec package?...OK, it may be moot. I just reread the OP and he says comfort package and I translated that to exec package. My bad.
Yes, it’s the 5-passenger rear seat comfort package that has no effect on the front passenger seat massage function. My wife would throw me out of the car if her seat didn’t have the massage and ventilation functions—no joke!

Last edited by derfA8L; 05-31-2019 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 158 Likes on 124 Posts

Bravo, Derf!

Well optioned indeed!

I really want that night vision assistant option and was disappointed to see that it's apparently not offered with the 3.0 engine for 2020 as I was targeting the 3.0 for my engine choice. Has anyone seen reports/claims about the 4.0 city/highway gas mileage versus the 3.0? Can I live with additional gas guzzling? Compared to the car's price, I guess it falls into the noise....

Gathering information, comparing, test driving, deciding, ordering, waiting, receiving: is there any journey better than buying a new car? OK, maybe a couple but still...

Please keep us posted as things progress. I will be vicarously following your updates.

Enviously yours,

MorganMay
Old 05-30-2019, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MorganMay
Bravo, Derf!

Well optioned indeed!

I really want that night vision assistant option and was disappointed to see that it's apparently not offered with the 3.0 engine for 2020 as I was targeting the 3.0 for my engine choice. Has anyone seen reports/claims about the 4.0 city/highway gas mileage versus the 3.0? Can I live with additional gas guzzling? ...
No, nothing concrete on 4.0T V8 specs at this moment. I’ve seen some internal info that shows the V8 at an estimated 455-hp and 487 ft. lbs. of torque. This is close to earlier press reports of 460-hp. As far as fuel efficiency between the V6 and V8, I don’t imagine there’d be a significant difference—Keep in mind that IIRC there was perhaps a meager 1 mile/gallon published variance for the D4 A8 supercharged 3.0T V6 versus the 4.0T twin Turbo V8. Perhaps the 8 cylinder to 4 cylinder transition (Cylinder On Demand) tech on the 4.0T motor has something to do with this. At any rate, my 4.0T V8 D4 averages (at minimum) around 24 mpg on the highway when cruising at 74mph, and I’d expect this new 4.0T V8 to be quite similar—Not nearly as good in city traffic, but neither is the new V6 Turbo model.