A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My phone mount solution

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My phone mount solution

After numerous poor attempts of mounting my phone in my D5, I came up with what I think is a pretty elegant solution. Keeping my phone in the wireless charging cradle in the arm rest is a waste of time IMO and it keeps you from storing stuff in there also. I used a sticky pad below the shifter for a while that works but you need to look down and it still slips off sometimes. My daughter has a magnetic mount for her iPhone which she loves. I have a Samsung S22+. The iPhone has metal in the back plate for magnetic mount (however if you have any kind of case on it the magnetism is weakened greatly and it falls off). Samsung does not have a metal plate. If you want to go magnetic you need to stick a piece of metal to the phone or case (if you use one) and that is suboptimal IMO and ruins the feel of the phone when in your hand.

Anyway LOL, I found a clear case for the S22+ that has the metal embedded in it. I then determined that my favorite mount spot might be on the brushed metal flat (slightly curved) above the D5 screens right in the center. After trying numerous mounts (thank you Amazon returns) which none would stick to the brushed metal (likely due to the curve), I found a flexible (not all are) pad meant for dashboards. I cut the pad to fit the space and suction cup area, cleaned well, let it cure for 24 hours on the brushed metal and VOILA !! Elegant simple solution. Solid as a rock. The convenience is wonderful. You need to run a wire if you want to charge it but I rarely have to as my phone is fully charged every morning. I run multiple digital streamers thru my Advanced B&O but my favorite is TIDAL since they display the lyrics while the tunes are playing.

Just figured I would share this.