A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q8 3.0T V6 Throttle Lag Issue — Any D5 Problem Like This?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
Yes, true.
I still think it is built into the cars on purpose and not a deficiency of the motors themselves.
Like maybe they discovered that initial tip-in is responsible for much of the emissions, so they coded in a smoother throttle opening to alleviate it, but it messed with the driver's drive-ability perception.
As you point out it should be all somewhat moot on the hybrid setup yet the Q8 has it and that seems to be where the complaints are at the moment.
I am curious to see how the electric turbos factor into this drive-ability when they arrive. I wish they still offered up the HP/Torque curves of the motors since I'd like to see the RS5 2.9T side-by-side with the identically power rated 2020 S6 2.9T+E. Does peak torque come on sooner? They have even removed the @RPM ratings from the website which used to be a big selling point i.e. 405lb-ft@1400RPM...
This is all well and good, but the issue being complained about goes beyond turbo lag and ft. lbs of torque—it’s about the engine spooling up significant RPMs with (seemingly) significantly delayed transmission engagement. To my mind, that’s a wholly different situation. I’ve had two 2.7T twin turbo powered Audis and of course my current 4.0T A8. All had/have some very minimal turbo lag that amounts to little consequence and do/did not result to pre-transmission engagement RPM spool up. I think I’ve got what’s being discussed about the Q8 issue correct here, no?
Old 11-01-2019, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 798 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
Yes, true.
I still think it is built into the cars on purpose and not a deficiency of the motors themselves.
Like maybe they discovered that initial tip-in is responsible for much of the emissions, so they coded in a smoother throttle opening to alleviate it, but it messed with the driver's drive-ability perception.
As you point out it should be all somewhat moot on the hybrid setup yet the Q8 has it and that seems to be where the complaints are at the moment.
I am curious to see how the electric turbos factor into this drive-ability when they arrive. I wish they still offered up the HP/Torque curves of the motors since I'd like to see the RS5 2.9T side-by-side with the identically power rated 2020 S6 2.9T+E. Does peak torque come on sooner? They have even removed the @RPM ratings from the website which used to be a big selling point i.e. 405lb-ft@1400RPM...
While the EA839 engine does have the BSG which generates up to 60nm of torque for up to 5 seconds, "electric turbos" as they are known are not available on the EA839. that said, here is the torque curve info.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
While the EA839 engine does have the BSG which generates up to 60nm of torque for up to 5 seconds, "electric turbos" as they are known are not available on the EA839. that said, here is the torque curve info.

My car’s engine code contains the letters CZS, not CZSE as shown in your above diagram. A difference without distinction?...or a different 3.0T V6 variant—perhaps country specific?
Old 11-01-2019, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 798 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
My car’s engine code contains the letters CZS, not CZSE as shown in your above diagram. A difference without distinction?...or a different 3.0T V6 variant—perhaps country specific?
Difference without distinction. Yes, country specific, but for all intents and purposes it's the V6 D5 'motor' with the P0 mild hybrid implementation. E.g. the one we all know and "mostly" love
Old 11-01-2019, 07:29 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu

Sorry, but thank you just the same. I know it doesn't pertain to this specific forum, but I was only interested in the 2.9T RS5 motor sans electric turbo and the new 2.9T S6 motor with the electric turbo.
Also if you happen to come across a self study guide on the new 4.0T A8, RS6 that would be tremendous.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (11-01-2019)
Old 01-29-2020, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue on A8

I have the exact same issue on my A8. Had it 4 months now and really noticeable in the situations you describe. Have to leave in sport mode to stand any chance of avoiding it

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Has anyone of you who does drive a D5 (3.0 V6) experienced the same powertrain lag or 2-3 second delayed throttle response engagement that seems to be cropping up on the Q8 forum (with some A6 complaints also)? Creates a potentially dangerous situation when merging into traffic or when on an incline (hill). Some are linking it to the mild hybrid system cutting off the engine when vehicle is coasting or on a rolling stop and then when you engage the throttle the engine boosts RPMs with nothing happening and no transmission engagement for a few seconds. See below thread...

AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 / Q8 > Audi Q8 > Audi Q8
> Intro / Auto start - major throttle lag issue

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/

I didn’t sense this on my recent D5 test run last week, even with Start/Stop engaged.