A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some new info re: D5

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts
Default Some new info re: D5

My sales person had the opportunity to get a few questions I had directly from Audi trainers. There is some stuff that I won't disclose publicly because I'm not entirely sure if I should, but here are a few tidbits that I feel comfortable disclosing.

1) Confirmed - Matrix portion of matrix light is only for the high beam system. There is apparently no brightness difference between the base D5 A8 LED light vs the upgraded Matrix design light.

In regards to IIHS rating differences between the base LED light versus the upgraded LED lights for the A4/6/Q5/Q7 (I was curious why this was the case), it's because the base LED lights are not full LED and they utilize reflectors.

As the base D5 A8 LED lights are the same, brightness wise, between the base and the matrix design lights, the question is whether or not one would want to pay the $ to upgrade if the benefits are mainly for high beam only with respect to matrix selective dimming. That's a personal question.
It is confirmed the upgrade to activate the Matrix design light is free of charge.

2) Both the 17 speaker B&O Premium 3D sound system and the Advanced 3D 23 speaker system both have the privacy speaker boxes. E.g. they are housed in their own boxes. There's obviously a wattage difference and 3D sound in the rear seats with the Advanced 3D system (2 tweeters and two speakers in the roof). If you don't care about the rear passengers just like I don't, the question you need to ask yourself is if the money is worth more wattage and two tweeters that pop out of the dash. Everything else is the same for the front passenger.

3) Re: Predictive/Audi AI suspension systems: All I will say here is because I received some opinions and such, these systems are TBD and we'll know at launch.

4) The laser scanner is only used for Intersection Assist and have no relevance to adaptive cruise control. Some other info regarding this I will not disclose yet as I don't believe it's public nor relevant to anyone else on here.

5) Regarding the gasoline particulate filter, I was wondering if this new D5 will have it due to Euro 6 regulations, they flat out refused to comment.

6) According to the shop foreman at my local dealership: " Carbon build up on the intake valves will not be an issue because of the improved oil separator and the multi-point injectors (sits in front of the intake valves) which we use to wash the intake valves in certain driving conditions " - In quotes is what he said, and I was asking about the EA839 air oil separator vs the EA837 (3.0 TSI). That's great to hear re: multi point injectors but I have discussed this with Audi Canada and either he or Audi Canada is wrong. Apparently these multi point injectors do not exist on North American engines, but do in Europe due to emission reasons (NOX levels to be blunt)

HTH.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
My sales person had the opportunity to get a few questions I had directly from Audi trainers. There is some stuff that I won't disclose publicly because I'm not entirely sure if I should, but here are a few tidbits that I feel comfortable disclosing.

1) Confirmed - Matrix portion of matrix light is only for the high beam system. There is apparently no brightness difference between the base D5 A8 LED light vs the upgraded Matrix design light.

In regards to IIHS rating differences between the base LED light versus the upgraded LED lights for the A4/6/Q5/Q7 (I was curious why this was the case), it's because the base LED lights are not full LED and they utilize reflectors.

As the base D5 A8 LED lights are the same, brightness wise, between the base and the matrix design lights, the question is whether or not one would want to pay the $ to upgrade if the benefits are mainly for high beam only with respect to matrix selective dimming. That's a personal question.
It is confirmed the upgrade to activate the Matrix design light is free of charge.

2) Both the 17 speaker B&O Premium 3D sound system and the Advanced 3D 23 speaker system both have the privacy speaker boxes. E.g. they are housed in their own boxes. There's obviously a wattage difference and 3D sound in the rear seats with the Advanced 3D system (2 tweeters and two speakers in the roof). If you don't care about the rear passengers just like I don't, the question you need to ask yourself is if the money is worth more wattage and two tweeters that pop out of the dash. Everything else is the same for the front passenger.

3) Re: Predictive/Audi AI suspension systems: All I will say here is because I received some opinions and such, these systems are TBD and we'll know at launch.

4) The laser scanner is only used for Intersection Assist and have no relevance to adaptive cruise control. Some other info regarding this I will not disclose yet as I don't believe it's public nor relevant to anyone else on here.

5) Regarding the gasoline particulate filter, I was wondering if this new D5 will have it due to Euro 6 regulations, they flat out refused to comment.

6) According to the shop foreman at my local dealership: " Carbon build up on the intake valves will not be an issue because of the improved oil separator and the multi-point injectors (sits in front of the intake valves) which we use to wash the intake valves in certain driving conditions " - In quotes is what he said, and I was asking about the EA839 air oil separator vs the EA837 (3.0 TSI). That's great to hear re: multi point injectors but I have discussed this with Audi Canada and either he or Audi Canada is wrong. Apparently these multi point injectors do not exist on North American engines, but do in Europe due to emission reasons (NOX levels to be blunt)

HTH.
Thanks for sharing. Just a couple of points and clarifications and editorial priviliges:

1) Headlights- I think many of us already are aware that the matrix function works exclusively with the bright hi-beams. That's been the case all along since Audi introduced them in Europe for the 2015MY. The key difference is that with the base LEDs there is a manual separation between the high and low beams that requires either manual or automatic (with high-beam Assistant) switching between the two. The HD matrix units (when fully functional) have the high beams on all the time along with the low beams, with automatic adjustment to a)shade on-coming traffic, b)dim the illumination for vehicles ahead, c)highlight pedestrians walking on the side of the road, and d)provide improved overall lighting resolution by virtue of the high beams working in conjunction with the low beams to generate increased lighting distance onto the road ahead. While brightness between the base LED units and HD matrix units may be essentially the same if compared with only high OR low beams, the combined dance with the two HD matrix light levels working together will in fact produce more useful light pattern with increased illumination distance ahead of the driver compared to the base LEDs. Additionally, the matrix units available in Europe when originally released in 2014 worked in conjunction with the vehicle Nav system and reacted in advance to turns, curves and bends in roadways when following Nav inputs--not sure right now if this functionality makes it to the U.S. or Canada. In the end, I really think all these aforementioned factors make overall safety more enhanced with the optional HD matrix units when they achieve full functionality in the not too distant future. Additionally, the HD matrix units get you the dynamic turn signal animation where that isn't available with the base LEDs (I know it's only a cosmetic fun feature), and the HDs are exclusively packaged with the nicer OLED rear light system. Ultimately, IMO the HD matrix units are a near "must have" option and a pretty good value proposition. IMO they should actually be standard equipment at this vehicle class level.

2) ---Content corrected on 10/24/18---There are actually four 3-D speakers in both the 23-speaker "Advanced" B&O system and in the 17-speaker "Premium" base system. In addition to the already mentioned two 3-D speakers in the headliner above the rear seats, the front passengers also take advantage of 3D sound with two full-range speakers embedded in the A-pillars . I'm still on the fence regarding the value proposition of going with the "Advanced" system upgrade; will have to listen to both, however I've been very happy with the A8 Bose systems I've had over the years so I'd guess the base B&O "Premium" system on the D5 would be more than adequate for me at least. The info I have also highlights that the "Advanced" system's speakers get lighter magnets that generate lower distortion, but I'm still not clear if the base set-up has these magnets---probably not.

3) The info I have (and from what's already been reported) is that the Predictive Active suspension system won't be initially launched with the 2018 D5, but will be delayed a bit (possibly until the 2019MY). The technical info I've seen confirms that this predictive system is an always on/active electromechanically operated system that works in conjunction with the standard new generation Active Air Suspension. The Predictive Active option independently increases or reduces the height of each wheel with individual electromechanical actuators.

As mentioned, there's also a new generation control unit on all D5s that's supposed to provide improved cornering stability and generate increased ride comfort compared with the out-going D4.

My info also indicates that the very good rear sport differential will be available only on the upcoming S8. However, (I hope) this could change as it relates to its availability for the to be announced 460-hp 4.0T V8 A8L.

Keep on posting whatever info you're able to provide. I know the Audi guys are trying to restrict some technical info at this point. They just released the D5 PIB to U.S. dealers, but Audi is treating it as a strictly internal thing, so there's a bit of useful detailed info being kept under wraps that has to go through their legal department before it can be devulged publicly...Well, at any rate, that's what's printed on every page of the PIB, and who wants to compromize a valued source! ;-)

Last edited by derfA8L; 10-24-2018 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Accuracy
Old 10-24-2018, 01:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Thanks for sharing. Just a couple of points and clarifications and editorial priviliges:

1) Headlights- I think many of us already are aware that the matrix function works exclusively with the bright hi-beams. That's been the case all along since Audi introduced them in Europe for the 2015MY. The key difference is that with the base LEDs there is a manual separation between the high and low beams that requires either manual or automatic (with high-beam Assistant) switching between the two. The HD matrix units (when fully functional) have the high beams on all the time along with the low beams, with automatic adjustment to a)shade on-coming traffic, b)dim the illumination for vehicles ahead, c)highlight pedestrians walking on the side of the road, and d)provide improved overall lighting resolution by virtue of the high beams working in conjunction with the low beams to generate increased lighting distance onto the road ahead. While brightness between the base LED units and HD matrix units may be essentially the same if compared with only high OR low beams, the combined dance with the two HD matrix light levels working together will in fact produce more useful light pattern with increased illumination distance ahead of the driver compared to the base LEDs. Additionally, the matrix units available in Europe when originally released in 2014 worked in conjunction with the vehicle Nav system and reacted in advance to turns, curves and bends in roadways when following Nav inputs--not sure right now if this functionality makes it to the U.S. or Canada. In the end, I really think all these aforementioned factors make overall safety more enhanced with the optional HD matrix units when they achieve full functionality in the not too distant future. Additionally, the HD matrix units get you the dynamic turn signal animation where that isn't available with the base LEDs (I know it's only a cosmetic fun feature), and the HDs are exclusively packaged with the nicer OLED rear light system. Ultimately, IMO the HD matrix units are a near "must have" option and a pretty good value proposition. IMO they should actually be standard equipment at this vehicle class level.

2) There are actually four 3-D speakers in the 23-speaker "Advanced" B&O system not found in the 17-speaker "Premium" base system. In addition to the already mentioned two 3-D speakers in the headliner above the rear seats, the front passengers also take advantage of 3D sound with two full-range speakers embedded in the A-pillars . I'm still on the fence regarding the value proposition of going with the "Advanced" system upgrade; will have to listen to both, however I've been very happy with the A8 Bose systems I've had over the years so I'd guess the base B&O "Premium" system on the D5 would be more than adequate for me at least. The info I have also highlights that the "Advanced" system's speakers get lighter magnets that generate lower distortion, but I'm still not clear if the base set-up has these magnets---probably not.

3) The info I have (and from what's already been reported) is that the Predictive Active suspension system won't be initially launched with the 2018 D5, but will be delayed a bit (possibly until the 2019MY). The technical info I've seen confirms that this predictive system is an always on/active electromechanically operated system that works in conjunction with the standard new generation Active Air Suspension. The Predictive Active option independently increases or reduces the height of each wheel with individual electromechanical actuators.

As mentioned, there's also a new generation control unit on all D5s that's supposed to provide improved cornering stability and generate increased ride comfort compared with the out-going D4.

My info also indicates that the very good rear sport differential will be available only on the upcoming S8. However, (I hope) this could change as it relates to its availability for the to be announced 460-hp 4.0T V8 A8L.

Keep on posting whatever info you're able to provide. I know the Audi guys are trying to restrict some technical info at this point. They just released the D5 PIB to U.S. dealers, but Audi is treating it as a strictly internal thing, so there's a bit of useful detailed info being kept under wraps that has to go through their legal department before it can be devulged publicly...Well, at any rate, that's what's printed on every page of the PIB, and who wants to compromize a valued source! ;-)
Thanks for the additional details!

Ps. The front three D speakers are also found on the base system. 👍
Old 10-24-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the additional details!

Ps. The front three D speakers are also found on the base system. 👍
Yup, that's correct...The "Premium" base system is also 3-D. I misinterpreted the material I was looking at. Thanks for catching that (I'm editing my post right now to correct that point).
Old 10-24-2018, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yup, that's correct...The "Premium" base system is also 3-D. I misinterpreted the material I was looking at. Thanks for catching that (I'm editing my post right now to correct that point).
No problem. We're all in this together :-)

My math and belief here is:

23 speaker - 17 speaker = 6 speakers (difference between the two).

I know for a fact that 4 of those speakers are in the rear and benefit only the rear passengers (3D sound x2 in the roofliner, and tweeter x2 in the B pillar).
I also know for a fact that the pop out speakers in the front (a la 3D lens) are not existant in the 17 speaker system.

That makes me wonder though - so does that mean there are no tweeters in the front? Or do they just pipe out the high tones through the 3D speakers in the A pillar? Either way, this seems really strange to me. Any ideas?

Because if it means that the 17 speaker system doesn't have tweeters in the front, is that alone worth shelling out $5000? Maybe....I am an audiophile, but I really want to know exactly what I'm paying for that is worth all of that money, especially when I don't care about the rear passengers as I don't have any.

Case in point about the Matrix design detail you gave earlier today. That made me put that as a "must have".
Old 10-24-2018, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No problem. We're all in this together :-)

My math and belief here is:

23 speaker - 17 speaker = 6 speakers (difference between the two).

I know for a fact that 4 of those speakers are in the rear and benefit only the rear passengers (3D sound x2 in the roofliner, and tweeter x2 in the B pillar).
I also know for a fact that the pop out speakers in the front (a la 3D lens) are not existant in the 17 speaker system.

That makes me wonder though - so does that mean there are no tweeters in the front? Or do they just pipe out the high tones through the 3D speakers in the A pillar? Either way, this seems really strange to me. Any ideas?

Because if it means that the 17 speaker system doesn't have tweeters in the front, is that alone worth shelling out $5000? Maybe....I am an audiophile, but I really want to know exactly what I'm paying for that is worth all of that money, especially when I don't care about the rear passengers as I don't have any.
I'm sure the base 3D "Premium" system does have 2 tweeters embedded on either side of the top of the instrument panel -- They just aren't mechanized to raise/lower like the "Advanced" set-up does. See the attached PDF speaker layout for the "Advanced" 3D system. The optional "Advanced" system also has an additional center tweeter alongside the center-fill speaker on top of the instrument panel's mid-point. And yes, it appears there are two rear surround tweeters contained in the rear surround speakers. The "Advanced" system also has distortion lowering neodymium speaker magnets to handle higher (power) volume levels. This isn't shown for the base "Premium" system, I believe. BTW, here is the power output for both systems...

Power Output Comparison:
B&O 3D Premium Sound System with 17 speakers = 730 watts
B&O 3D Advanced Sound System with 23 speakers = 1,920 watts

Attached Files
Old 10-24-2018, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm sure the base 3D "Premium" system does have 2 tweeters embedded on either side of the top of the instrument panel -- They just aren't mechanized to raise/lower like the "Advanced" set-up does. See the attached PDF speaker layout for the "Advanced" 3D system. The optional "Advanced" system also has an additional center tweeter alongside the center-fill speaker on top of the instrument panel's mid-point. And yes, it appears there are two rear surround tweeters contained in the rear surround speakers. The "Advanced" system also has distortion lowering neodymium speaker magnets to handle higher (power) volume levels. This isn't shown for the base "Premium" system, I believe. BTW, here is the power output for both systems...

Power Output Comparison:
B&O 3D Premium Sound System with 17 speakers = 730 watts
B&O 3D Advanced Sound System with 23 speakers = 1,920 watts
Thank you. So based on your statement here, I just want to make sure I understand. I think we agree on the 4 that is missing on the 3D Premium Sound system for the rear (2 tweeters/2 3D speakers in the roof)

Looking at the document you provided, I wonder, then, if the other difference (accounting for the two missing speakers if indeed you are correct that the front tweeters are there), if the 2x speakers in the rear deck, dubbed "surround speaker" and "surround tweeter" are deleted in the Premium 3D system, then we have truly accounted for the missing speakers!

My hope is that all of the front speakers are there in the Premium 3D system, and that, other than wattage and fancy magnets, that the difference is all in the back....I guess short of taking a flashlight and looking at speaker grills once the car arrives, we don't know, but for now, we can guess

(thoughts?)

Last edited by angrypengu; 10-24-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you. So based on your statement here, I just want to make sure I understand. I think we agree on the 4 that is missing on the 3D Premium Sound system for the rear (2 tweeters/2 3D speakers in the roof)

Looking at the document you provided, I wonder, then, if the other difference (accounting for the two missing speakers if indeed you are correct that the front tweeters are there), if the 2x speakers in the rear deck, dubbed "surround speaker" and "surround tweeter" are deleted in the Premium 3D system, then we have truly accounted for the missing speakers!

My hope is that all of the front speakers are there in the Premium 3D system, and that, other than wattage and fancy magnets, that the difference is all in the back....I guess short of taking a flashlight and looking at speaker grills once the car arrives, we don't know, but for now, we can guess

(thoughts?)
The D3 and D4 Bose systems do have the front instrument panel tweeters. I cannot image the B&O Premium system would be lacking front tweeters, nor can I imagine that the A-pillar front surround speakers would be a substitute for them. Yes, once the cars arrive in showrooms, that will be an easy check.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The D3 and D4 Bose systems do have the front instrument panel tweeters. I cannot image the B&O Premium system would be lacking front tweeters, nor can I imagine that the A-pillar front surround speakers would be a substitute for them. Yes, once the cars arrive in showrooms, that will be an easy check.
Sorry, I think we're referring to two different things. I believe now, based on your info, that the 6 speakers that are deleted are all in the rear cabin. 2x tweeters, 2x 3d overhead speakers, and 2x rear surround speakers (in the rear parcel shelf).
Old 10-24-2018, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry, I think we're referring to two different things. I believe now, based on your info, that the 6 speakers that are deleted are all in the rear cabin. 2x tweeters, 2x 3d overhead speakers, and 2x rear surround speakers (in the rear parcel shelf).
My bad. I don't have any real info to corroborate what you're saying, but it kind of makes sense, especially considering the Premium system uses a post-processing technology that generates a "surround" sound profile garnering a sense openness. That would to some degree possibly make up for the lack of actual rear speakers, if they're indeed not there. Will possibly get a chance to hear one of the systems this weekend...Dealer just got a D5!!!

Last edited by derfA8L; 10-24-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Some new info re: D5