A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SUV temptation

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Default SUV temptation

I'm back to really considering my next move out of my D4 3.0 SWB. The car only has 62k miles and it's been trouble free and still looks great. That said, after 9 years I think I just want change. The desire for change for the sake of change has me all over the place. I've been recently distracted by the Land Rover Defender but I've also thought about the Cayenne, Macan, and even the full size Range. The D5 desire comes and goes. For those of you who have and enjoy the D5, did you come from an SUV or did you cross shop against SUV options? Appreciate your thoughts and stories. Also, I know the smart move is to keep my car.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

I have both my D5 and multiple SUVs. I'm just not a huge fan of the SUV package for a lot of reasons -- high seating position, less confident handling, target for thieves -- I just enjoy driving the D5. I don't enjoy driving the SUVs (Q7, Jeep GC). You have another option for fun driving, so your choice may be different. I parted with my 87 carrera a year ago, and neither of my jaguars are running right now (go figure- ;( ), so my driving enjoyment comes from my D5.

Last edited by A8bil; 03-20-2024 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Somehow I find this configuration car, super spacious and luxurious and built for the autobahn, perfect. It's more than big enough for a family of four and their luggage for a week. And with the D5 V8 especially, I get lot of driving enjoyment in mundane tasks and imperfect city roads much like A8Bil said.

SUVs feel wooden and cumbersome, sport cars (RIP my S2000) give you an unwanted workout on Chicago city streets.

I'm also not one to carry a bunch of huge stuff from Home Depot, besides, small plants and cases of wine from the local Binnys. Else, just get the bigger stuff delivered. And we have no pets.

I imagine you might get similarly tilted opinions on the D5 forum.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 165 Likes on 120 Posts

You are asking us to compare apples and oranges here. The D5 and SUV's you mentioned have their own flavors. I own a D5 and love driving it as it is my daily driver. I also own several SUV's and love to drive them as well. I currently have a Defender and a Range Rover and they are both amazing vehicles. Also had a Cayenne in the past and loved it. My advice is that you go out and test drive the Rovers and the Cayenne as well as the D5. Good luck with your quest; all the vehicles you mentioned are great!
Old 03-21-2024, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 832 Likes on 595 Posts

Yeah physics will do what physics will do. Pros and cons to both.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I don’t own a D5, but I did purchase a new 2024 Cayenne S for my wife a few months ago, so I might be able to help a bit.

Prior to purchasing the Cayenne, I had pretty much made up my mind that when it came time to move on from my D4 S8+ it would probably not be a move to a D5, unless a SWB version became available. This would represent the end of the line of many years of Audi ownership. My thinking was that I would possibly take over this new Cayenne in a few years. But now I’m not so sure. The Cayenne is nice, really nice, actually, but it’s a step down from my D4 in some subtle ways. And it has no soul.

I typically keep my primary drivers about ten years , or so, and stagger them so I always have something less than five or six years old. But now my plan is to keep my S8 much longer, and replace the SUV for my wife every five years, or so, in order to have something a little newer for longer trips.

Puzz, my eye keeps going to your 996, and as A8bil suggests, that might be the answer to your problem. A lot depends upon where you live, like climate and congestion, but there is nothing like joy riding in a 911 to take your mind off other things.

Last year I mounted all season tires on my 997, and rather than it sitting in my garage for a few months every winter, I now drive it twelve mounts a year, and that has greatly diminished my recurring desire to buy a new car.

Mike
Old 03-21-2024, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
I don’t own a D5, but I did purchase a new 2024 Cayenne S for my wife a few months ago, so I might be able to help a bit.

Prior to purchasing the Cayenne, I had pretty much made up my mind that when it came time to move on from my D4 S8+ it would probably not be a move to a D5, unless a SWB version became available. This would represent the end of the line of many years of Audi ownership. My thinking was that I would possibly take over this new Cayenne in a few years. But now I’m not so sure. The Cayenne is nice, really nice, actually, but it’s a step down from my D4 in some subtle ways. And it has no soul.

I typically keep my primary drivers about ten years , or so, and stagger them so I always have something less than five or six years old. But now my plan is to keep my S8 much longer, and replace the SUV for my wife every five years, or so, in order to have something a little newer for longer trips.

Puzz, my eye keeps going to your 996, and as A8bil suggests, that might be the answer to your problem. A lot depends upon where you live, like climate and congestion, but there is nothing like joy riding in a 911 to take your mind off other things.

Last year I mounted all season tires on my 997, and rather than it sitting in my garage for a few months every winter, I now drive it twelve mounts a year, and that has greatly diminished my recurring desire to buy a new car.

Mike
if anyone is thinking like Mike911 above, I have a 01 996 cab w 11.5k miles on it I'm thinking of getting rid of. White ext w blu/blu. Fun car but double hip replacement at 6.5" and after having a 911 in the garage for over 30 yrs I think I'm done w them for now. Thnx

Last edited by Pathfinder11; 03-21-2024 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Just bought a Defender for the wife, who likes the high seating position and cargo hauling of an SUV. It's a really nice car and very solid. As much as I like it, I don't think I would want it as my daily ride. I just like the sedan feel and handling. I think the closest I would get is a wagon. I really like the RS6 Avant right now, and something like that might be my next car.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I have never liked SUVs as a category. I prefer cars because they are low to the ground, drive better, handle better, etc... I like to drive fast and I feel more in control of a car than an SUV.

If I had a need for extra cargo capacity then my focus would be on wagons like the RS6 Avant. To me, that's better than an SUV because it's still low to the ground and drives more like a car.

My lease on my 2023 S8 runs out in 2026, and my plan is to consider the upcoming BMW M5 Touring or an RS6 (if it's still available).
Old 03-21-2024, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

extended test drives will be your best bet
The following users liked this post:
KK22 (03-21-2024)

Quick Reply: SUV temptation