A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wiper Fluid- Annoying!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Fluid- Annoying!

Has anybody had any issues with the windshield wiper fluid depleting really quickly? I make it a point not to even use it (maybe 1-2 times per week) and I am getting the "Add Washer Fluid" every 2-3 weeks. I have never seen anything like it. I have even tried pouring in 2 bottles but I could only get through 1/4 of the second bottle.

This is beyond annoying, and starting to think I may have an issue. I do not see any leaks so I am just about to go to the dealership to see what they can do to help.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

It's not a leak. It's because of the LIDAR scanner needing to be very clean, so if you use active cruise control, the lidar scanner is cleaned by washer fluid.

I don't have the driver's assistance package (DAP), but I do see a setting in OBD11 that allows you to turn off the intermittent clean for said LIDAR scanner. If you do this though, your ACC will disengage if it's dirty....

This is why folks like Elon Musk balk at the concept of using these expensive scanners...
Old 07-16-2019, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
It's not a leak. It's because of the LIDAR scanner needing to be very clean, so if you use active cruise control, the lidar scanner is cleaned by washer fluid.

I don't have the driver's assistance package (DAP), but I do see a setting in OBD11 that allows you to turn off the intermittent clean for said LIDAR scanner. If you do this though, your ACC will disengage if it's dirty....

This is why folks like Elon Musk balk at the concept of using these expensive scanners...
Great info! I use ACC on a daily basis. I had no idea it cleaned itself! I figured it was the headlight washers, that I could care less about. Truth be told though during the summer months, I do not know what needs to be cleaned other than dust? How often does it clean the scanner?

PS- I have definitely had the ACC disengage nearly on a daily basis. Usually coming out of a tunnel, and a couple of spots on the Garden State Parkway (literally turns off at the same spot nearly every day!)
Old 07-16-2019, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo118
Great info! I use ACC on a daily basis. I had no idea it cleaned itself! I figured it was the headlight washers, that I could care less about. Truth be told though during the summer months, I do not know what needs to be cleaned other than dust? How often does it clean the scanner?

PS- I have definitely had the ACC disengage nearly on a daily basis. Usually coming out of a tunnel, and a couple of spots on the Garden State Parkway (literally turns off at the same spot nearly every day!)
I don't know what triggers the cleanse. (based on visibility of said scanner or if it's on a timer, probably the former).

That said your PS comment doesn't surprise me. The lidar scanner on the new 2019 Audis is incredibly strong (don't ask me how I know) and emits 904nm at a range that baffles me. I suspect what is happening on the GSP is that there's something that's reflecting a large amount of signal back to itself (maybe a big sign - look for something really reflective) and the zFAS controller cannot filter out those signals causing it to disengage as it is momentarily "blinded" which triggers an automatic disconnect.

Downsides of semi-autonomous driving I guess! What also baffles me is why the short and long range radar cannot just compensate when said lidar scanner is momentarily blinded. I know for a fact that with the lidar scanner taped up with duct tape that the car will still enable ACC, albeit it gives off a "I'm not happy warning" (to that effect)....
Old 07-16-2019, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I don't know what triggers the cleanse. (based on visibility of said scanner or if it's on a timer, probably the former).

That said your PS comment doesn't surprise me. The lidar scanner on the new 2019 Audis is incredibly strong (don't ask me how I know) and emits 904nm at a range that baffles me. I suspect what is happening on the GSP is that there's something that's reflecting a large amount of signal back to itself (maybe a big sign - look for something really reflective) and the zFAS controller cannot filter out those signals causing it to disengage as it is momentarily "blinded" which triggers an automatic disconnect.

Downsides of semi-autonomous driving I guess! What also baffles me is why the short and long range radar cannot just compensate when said lidar scanner is momentarily blinded. I know for a fact that with the lidar scanner taped up with duct tape that the car will still enable ACC, albeit it gives off a "I'm not happy warning" (to that effect)....
Amazing stuff. I know coming out of the tunnel it turns off "lightly" where the car will slow itself down, but perhaps some features are turned off. This happens nearly every day, and when coming out of that tunnel there is lots going on (police watching the area, signs, cones, etc.) so something must be confusing the system. On the highway where I notice it, there is little to nothing around, but next time it happens I will see if there is anything else in the area that could be the trigger.

Thanks for the help, you have got me really interested in this! I am not one for fully autonomous driving, but sometimes I can't help myself as I have a long commute and like to "relax" a little bit. Hard to live without it since I first had this technology in my D4 back in 2012.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (07-16-2019)