Blower motor woes: how to mod the housing to get the fan out *easier* (BWW):

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad it's working for you.

To take it out without removing center console/dash, you simply take out the radio and the climate control head unit, reach through the holes to unplug a red and a blue wire connector that connect to the housing, then take a single screw out of each footwell duct (driver and passenger). Once this is done, you can open the hood, disconnect all the vacuum lines, the evaporator connector, etc, take out the clamp that holds it in place and carefully pull the whole heater box assembly up and out of the car.

Next you open it up, replace the BM and the heater core and grease all the flap motors while you're in there, and put everything back together.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

you forgot the cowl, grill, wipers, and wipers mechanism... You cannot pull the box out unless you remove (not necessarily unplugging it) the wiper mechanism. :P
Old 07-30-2010, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

what was the purpose of this?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by r1de23
what was the purpose of this?

Replace the blower motor.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ben2
Glad it's working for you.

To take it out without removing center console/dash, you simply take out the radio and the climate control head unit, reach through the holes to unplug a red and a blue wire connector that connect to the housing, then take a single screw out of each footwell duct (driver and passenger). Once this is done, you can open the hood, disconnect all the vacuum lines, the evaporator connector, etc, take out the clamp that holds it in place and carefully pull the whole heater box assembly up and out of the car.

Next you open it up, replace the BM and the heater core and grease all the flap motors while you're in there, and put everything back together.
Can you point me to where the two screws are located? I've dropped the glove box, knee bolster and ducts and cannot see how the blower housing is secured. I've reached up along the firewall and do not feel any screws or bolts along the opening, yet the housing is solidly fastened.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

The screws attach the footwell air ducts, one on each side, to the hvac assembly. If you get on your face under the dashboard you should be able to locate them.

Here's a quick writeup from QW that may help:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/16189.phtml
Old 09-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ben2
The screws attach the footwell air ducts, one on each side, to the hvac assembly. If you get on your face under the dashboard you should be able to locate them.

Here's a quick writeup from QW that may help:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/16189.phtml
Thanks for the write up. I think I'm both blind and dumb. I've yet to find the two screws. I've removed the duct with the white cloth, rubber floor duct with ears. Pulled back the console side covers and not sure of the location of the screws. I've disconnected both the blue and red connectors. Hace followed the floor ducts and still cannot locate the screws. I know I'm just two screws away from pulling this thing out. The video this guy shot didn't show them either, but did mnetion them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ayciT30vjQ
Old 09-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are they the black colored screws that face upwards?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This guy mentions the screws, but doesn't show them and he went through alot of work. Thanks for posting a shortcut. I'm this close to getting it out, just gotta find those pesky screws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ayciT30vjQ
Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, that sounds like it. I beleive they're black and around 8mm and go up from the foot ducts to the hvac assembly.

Please don't follow any advice the guy in that video gives, he does a horrid job of his replacement. Forget anything you learned from that!

Quick Reply: Blower motor woes: how to mod the housing to get the fan out *easier* (BWW):