Electric crap i dont understand!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric crap i dont understand!!!

ive got a 1995 Audi A6 and in the dashboard there is the display that checks everything and then says ok, and thismorning i drove to work and the KM/h sign kept pooping up because i pushed the stick in and the it wouldnt stop cummin up and going away? then i held it in and a bar went across the KM/h and it stopped? what does that symbol mean? does it mena im over the speed limit? puls there is the LED display imbetween the speedo and the reve gauge. what does all the things mean on there because when i pushed the up and down on the end of the window wipers it changes which setting im on. and i dont know what they all mean when im on them because it shows numbers im clueless to what they mean? can some one please explain what they all do as im stummped as there is 1/100 and a clock and 1/10 and other? and plusowhat does the reset button do on the bottom of the wiper arm do? plus lol sorry for dragging on but how do i get crusie control to work as ive heard that these A6's have them but i dont know how to work it? im pretty sure i have a top of the range A6 as i have leather seats and its flash as inside lol.

can some one please help me out as im new to my Audi and want to learn more about it.

thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default First of all...

...is your A6 a North American version? Since you see "km/h" in the Autocheck, I assume you're car is not a U.S. version. I ask because the display between the gauges is the trip computer. I've never seen a US A6 with a trip computer. The 1992-94 100/S4s had TCs but not the 95-97 A6s.

Above the trip computer is the Autocheck display. At some point, you must have set the speed reminder by pushing on the left side **** in the cluster. The Autocheck remembered the speed at which it was set. When you exceed that speed, it pops up the flashing reminder that you're going too fast. Pushing in and holding cancels the setting.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Search the forum. Most of the questions can be answered there.

The KM/h sign is there because it was depressed. It will go off if you go faster than the warning speed for a bit.

I am not sure as to what you are referring to when you're talking about the wipers.

Cruise control can be easily set by the left stalk on the steering wheel. There is a lever that says cruise ON/OFF. Pull the switch to the left, turning cruise on (there is no indication on the dash of this), and then pull it again once you have your desired speed, and it will cruise for you. To turn cruise off, simply depress the brake and/or flick the switch to the off position when you're done.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:07 PM

Default Re: First of all...

yeah i live in New Zealand so my steering wheel is on the right not the left.

so how would i set it to a certain speed? as i dont know how i would of done this? also yeah i go by KM/H because this it what we go by here. but yeah how would i go about reading the display between the speedo? youve already said that its only iin the S4's that its in them but mine has it? i dont knwo how to use it at all sorry to be a Audi noob and now knowing it.

thanks and hope yoyu can help
Old 08-20-2008, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Search the forum. Most of the questions can be answered there.

on the end of the wiper stick there is a up and down button ont he end of it and a reset on the bottom. and then on the display in the middle it chan ges whats on there and the arrow in the box moves to the other settings.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Welcome....take a deep breath and

check out the FAQ and quick start guide linked below.

Printed owner's manuals are available through Bentleypublishing.com and often on eBay. Sounds like one would come in handy while getting acquainted with your new ride.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The icons are explained in the owner's manual. Available on Ebay reasonably.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Here's the rundown...

1. Autocheck speed alarm - while traveling at 50 kmh, press and keep pressing the left adjuster **** in the instrument cluster. You should see the km/h symbol appear in the Autocheck display. That means the cluster has remembered 50 kmh. Now, when you exceed 50 kmh, the display will flash and you'll hear a beep. Press and hold the same **** again and the alarm will be turned off.

2. Cruise control - When you reach the speed you want to set, press the button on the end of the turn signal stalk. The cruise control remembers the speed and maintains it. To speed up, momentarily click the cruise switch on front of the same stalk to the left. You should speed up about 2 kmh. If you hold that switch to the left, the car will continue to accelerate. If you want to decelerate 2 kmh, momentarily press the button on the end. To disengage the cruise control, momentarily click the cruise button to the right, toward OFF or press the brake pedal. Once the cruise is off, you can click the cruise/OFF button to the left and the cruise should reengage and accelerate to the preset speed. If you drop below about 40 kmh, the cruise may forget the preset speed and you'll have to set it again.

3. Trip Computer (TC) - The up/down switch on the end of the wiper stalk controls the mode of the TC as you have observed. The button on the bottom of the stalk resets some of the TC settings depending an what mode you're in.

NOTE: I'm explaining the modes and units below based on a U.S. trip computer that I have. Yours could be different.

The mode indicators are arranged around the TC display:

Upper left - 'bar' for turbocharged engines. When in this mode, the number displayed in the middle indicates the absolute manifold pressure. Typically, 0.3 to 1.4 bar.

Upper left - 'l/km' for normally aspirated engines. I'm assuming 'l/km' but I've never seen one. The number indicates instantaneous fuel usage. (Update: This label is 'L/100km')

Upper middle - 'km with arrow' indicates the number of km until the fuel tank is empty. This is calculated based on current fuel usage and the amount of fuel left in the tank.

Upper right - 'L with arrow' indicates liters remaining in the fuel tank. It measures actual fuel in the tank. (Update: This really indicates fuel used since last reset).

Lower left - 'clock with arrow' indicates trip time since last reset. Select this mode then press and hold the reset button on the bottom of the stalk to reset to zero.

Lower middle - 'average l/km' indicates the average fuel usage since last reset. Select this mode then press and hold the reset button to reset to zero.

Lower right - 'average kph' indicates the average speed since last reset. Select this mode then press and hold the reset button to reset to zero.

Having explained all that, you should get yourself an Audi Owner's Manual for your model. It will explain all of the other things that you'll question.

Welcome to our forum and good luck.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Here's the rundown...

man your a Legend!!! that explains everything i need to know!!! thanks man yeah im gunna get my self one. so i takei that the manual explains what youve just said?

thanks man if i could repay you i would but i cant because im a noob at Audi's ahahah thanks man

Much aprreciated
Old 08-21-2008, 11:27 AM

In my A6, upper right it's "L ->" and it means the fuel used in the trip, not in the tank.

Quick Reply: Electric crap i dont understand!!!