electric gremlins caught up front!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric gremlins caught up front!

Hello all...after selling my black 95.5 S6 Avant a year ago, I just couldn't live without it, and so am now the proud owner of...a silver 95.5 S6 Avant. But this one has some problems. Of course none of them were present when I bought it!

When I turn the key 1/2 way (start position) all electronics work, but when I actually start up the car, here is a list of what DOESN'T work:
--turn signals
--headlights
--climate control
--display & the entire system
--windshield wipers & washers.
But what DOES work
--hazard lights
--dash dimming when headlights theoretically "on"

Clearly a bizarre electrical glitch (all fuses fine). I'm no electrical wiz, but does anyone know the wiring diagram on these cars and/or if I could troubleshoot it myself? Obviously without headlights or turn signals I have to get this resolved asap, so may have to take it to the shop tomorrow, but wanted to see what's known here. Thanks guys.

Erik
Old 06-25-2006, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like the ignition switch.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:59 PM

Default They are prone to splitting internally...

I've done them in two A6 now and the new ones are different internally so i think the part was improved.

Odd that it works ok when you switch ignition on but maybe it's not connecting when returning from start position. Make sure it is returning fully because when they go bad they can stick it start position, so starter can continue to run and burn out, wiggle the key to see if you get anthing come on briefly when it's running. I think most of the items you list not working, are deliberately disconnected when cranking to reduce battery load......

Part is cheap from Audi, (in the UK), but as far as the job goes you'll be wishing you had a dentist apointment...
Old 06-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: They are prone to splitting internally...

That does it! Just had to turn it back a hair from full crank and everything's a go. Minor crisis, major headache, averted. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2006, 04:25 PM

Default There's quite a good write up with pics in my haynes...

..manual, all be it a right hand drive car, If you are going to do the job and would like a scan let me know....
Old 06-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: There's quite a good write up with pics in my haynes...

Sounds great...could you post/email? (btw, congrats on the win today)
Old 06-26-2006, 01:08 PM

Default Was easier to take pics because my scanner needs a lump hammer...

http://www.zfz.com/pictures/audi/ignition_01.jpg

http://www.zfz.com/pictures/audi/ignition_02.jpg

http://www.zfz.com/pictures/audi/ignition_03.jpg

http://www.zfz.com/pictures/audi/ignition_04.jpg

You need a T30 torx security bit, (torx bolt has a pin), but in the past I have snapped the pin off and used a standard torx bit.

You'll also need a good quality long torx bit (not sure of the size, I think either T27 T30 or T40), in the rear of the steering wheel to undo the airbag. these bolts are often ludicrously tight so you a good tool and make sure it's the right size and all the way in. I've snapped the end of a snap-on torx bit off (bondhus are better quality if you can get them)

The write up refers to other sections that I've included too, and while you have the instrument cluster out it would be prudent to do illumination bulbs including the outside temp display if you have one and it isn't illuminated.

Think there's some detail in the faq or i have a pictorial walkthrough in word doc format I can e-mail you, just ask...<ul><li><a href="http://www.bondhus.com/">http://www.bondhus.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 06-26-2006, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hold on there...way too much effort...

No need to remove the steering wheel. The electrical part of the ignition switch assemby is separate from the lock mechanism. It just plugs into the forward end of the assembly.

1. pull the instrument cluster (remove the cables and take it completely out)
2. unsnap the relay and move it out of the way
3. unscrew the 2 set screws on top of the ignition switch assembly (locked in place with paint)
4. pull the switch connector off the backside of the ign switch assy (toward the front of the car). It has a purple locking ring that has to be popped out to remove the switch.
5. Slide out the switch.
5. Reverse this process to install the new switch. Get a real Audi switch if you can. Much more durable than the aftermarket switches.

I've done a 96 and a 97 A6 this way. Takes a little twisting and wiggling but it's not that hard. If you really have to, remove the knee panel below the steering wheel and find a helper with small hands to assist from underneath.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:28 AM

Default maybe be some differences between left & right hand drive..

...because I tried doing removing as little as possible but one of the 2 set screws is inaccessible or at least too tight with the barrel in place
Old 05-31-2008, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Load Reduction relay

Causes the turn signals, wipers, a/c issues. Causes the fuses to blow right away too.