Electrical drain.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical drain.

I read over the thread on the link and I think I have the same problem. However, I am not sure what was the consensus on what to do with the problem. This is after a month after a replacing an alternator. That one was found to be bad (LOUD noises), so another was put in yesterday. Things seem to be fine, but there are a few nagging problems.

There seems to be a constant electrical drain. I've noticed that the window switch lights stay on even after the car is shut off and locked. Also, the driver's lock doesn't seem to want to lock, so I need to lock the car with the passenger door. The windows can also be operated long after the doors have been locked. (I just checked now... the windows work even after being parked for a few hours.)

I am thinking I should pull the electric window relay (big black relay box thing from the compartment in the engine bay). Is that the solution? Or would I need to do the wire-cutting?

I really don't need the feature to close the windows with the key from outside.

Thanks for all your help.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6100/msgs/28953.phtml">older electrical drain thread</a></li></ul>
Old 12-28-2003, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Electrical drain.

look in your fuse box. to the left of the actual fuses are some little metal things with amps written on them. they are like a temperature relay. if it draws too much current, it is supposed to open.

unfortunatly, if the window circuit stays on all the time but is not shorted, it will continue to draw some current, but probably not enough to trip the relay. however, definitely enough to drain you battery.

i had the same problem you are having. turns out the window auto-close circuit had something bad. maybe it was the big relay in the driver's side footwell, but i don't know.

my fix was remove the temp relay thing. at first, i was just shotgunning it and removing relays until i didn't see a spark when i attached the battery and found the temp relay. didn't know what it was for. it was a mystery cause everything worked. it wasn't until a few weeks later that i tried to close everything from the driver's key that i noticed it was not working.

that was 6 months ago. no problem since.