Has anyone ever changed the fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever changed the fuel pump?

My wife went to the 94 100s and the car would not start. I first checked the fuel pump relay, which is located on the kick panel under the steering wheel, a few screws and the panel comes off. After looking around, and confused, I found out that the relay is labeled DIESEL. I popped off the cover to the relay, turned ignition to "on" and watched the relay contacts move. So than I figured it is the pump. So off I go to lay in the trunk. The pump is located just behind the ski bag, under the carpet. Three screws and a cover comes off. Disconnect the wire harness, and disconnect the three fuel lines, one is held togther with a bolt, and the other two have clamps on it. Than gently hammer with a flat screwdriver the retension ring counter clockwise. And pull the sending unit up.
I got that far but can't figure out how to get the fuel pump out without breaking those two plastic clips that hold it down.

Thanks, dirtyhands.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default It rotates about 12ยบ anti-clockwise then lifts out. I guess there .....

are some diagrams somewhere around and someone else may have them.

The part that rotates is the cntre bit only. You can just about see that the pump housing itself has a small pointer on it indicating when it is correctly lined up. I use a piece of 2"x1" about 2ft long making sure it is clean and splinter free, and just lever it gently pressing on one of the lugs around the housing. You may have to give it a little "persuasion" with a light whack if it is tight.

I think the relay marked Diesel is possibly not the fuel pump relay. I think that is probably for the pre-heaters because I see no reason why the diesel engined car would have a different relay that the petrol engined car.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:26 AM

Default Ok thanks Edd,

My car is gasoline, but it is still labeled diesel. I found that resource on the bentley manual website. I will try it out today after I get some sleep just hope I don't break those plastic clips, I'm the weakest person in the world, but I seem to overpower myself and break things consistantly, especially audis! Laterz, dirtyhands
Old 05-04-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Just took it out.....

I used a flat blade screwdriver and gently bend back the plastic clips, than the pump just pulled straight out. Now if only my pump comes in soon, so I can get the wifes car running. Also the fuel out port on top had lots of debris in it. It looks like it was clogged with black stuff. It looks like the pump failed internally by way of breaking pump vanes. I will cut it open at work and take pics.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did the pump come out by itself then or in its plastic sub-frame?