Headgasket replacement is finished

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headgasket replacement is finished

As far as I can tell, there's no change.

After some moderately hard driving on the freeway, there was all kinds of pressure in the coolant tank and the cap couldn't be removed without the coolant wanting to boil up out of it.

So it appears to have been a big waste of a lot of time and about $300.

Maybe the new valve stem seals will lessen or eliminate the oil consumption and make me feel like less of a jack-***.

I guess the next step is to either buy a $275 new radiator, or have one of the tanks pulled off mine and see what's going on inside.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Bummer.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When I first bought my car I had overheating issues only when coming off...

of some hard freeway driving and then stop and go stuff. I had a blockage in my radiator and fortunately the dealer I bought the car from used gave me a new radiator. That's too bad, I guess you have peace of mind on the heads now but I hope it works out. Any difference cleaning up those fuel injector port areas made in performance?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can't tell if the injector port trimming made a difference or not.

With the Mance MAF, and my self-Manced throttle body, it already screams. I'm sure it made a difference because those are big ol' hunks of metal sticking out.

The pisser is that my chemical tester did turn yellow and that indicates CO2 was present.

I guess the 2 good things about it are that I fixed the oil leak from the valley pan gasket, and I put in new valve stem seals. (Big whoop....coulda done those both with the heads on and $300 still in my pocket.)
Old 10-25-2008, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I belive new radiator is the only cure for boiling over,

As it told you before it made very significant difference in my case now it wouldn't boil over at all City driving the oil temp needle stays below second line .On Highways only if i am doing 75 or more the needle goes above second line

Btw i still lose coolant with out any signs of leakage . around 1 quart or less over a week i am planning to replace reservoir even though i don't see any thing wrong with it ..

Todd, out of curiosity could you try the CO2 chemical tester again . Want to know if new HG is really making the difference
Old 10-25-2008, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That sucks. Did you have the heads milled?
Old 10-25-2008, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, going to drive it today and then do a chem test again.

I shot some temps with infrared temp gun around the engine yesterday after my drive. The black metal coolant pipe that wraps around the rear of both heads was 222*F and the top of the radiator at the inlet was only 175*F. So things are definately getting hot, even though the fans are cycling.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did you have the heads milled? No, they were straight...

I couldn't get a .0015" under a straightedge. I dressed the heads and the block with a 2"x2" straight bar.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Back from a 60mi test drive

VAG-Com shows engine coolant temp at 102*C and my infrared temp gun shows 99*C on the surface of the black metal cylinder head coolant pipe.

So, I'd say it's running hot.

Outside air temps this morning were only in the 60*F range, and I kept the speed locked at 60mph with the CC, just to see what would happen during a "normal" drive.

After 30mi I got a CEL indicating Bank 1 and 2 too lean (P0174 & P0171) and it stayed on for the 30mi return home. Wonder if the Mance MAF is causing that. I was getting that code occationaly before, but not a steady CEL due to it.

Guess I'll be looking at fuel trim and O2 sensor function next.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm definitely interested in seeing what's inside that radiator!

Quick Reply: Headgasket replacement is finished