Light replacement and engine noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light replacement and engine noise?

I found this message board while looking for a few things. I am 17 years old and just bought my new car, an Audi 100 cs. I love it, it is clean and has very few scratches on the indigo mica paint. Interior is great and very clean. I was just wondering how to get the climate control and wood peice off so i could replace the light underneath the climate control area. I can't get the wood peice off, it won't budge. Also i need to replace two window *** switches that are not lit up, my freind has a 100 also and we only got to the black control panel. We could get the individual switch out of the 5 peice panel. Does anyone know if the mirror control switch is suppose to be lit up. One last note, when i turn the engine on it idles a little loud with a clicking noise and when i push the gas from a stand-still the car hesitates and shutters a little. The door also vibrates a bit and you can feel it when stoped at the lights. Over all the car is very clean and the owner took care of it well, i am very picky as many Audi owners are. Just need to get a few minor interior bulbs replaced and get the engine running the way i want it to.

Please Reply
Thanx
Brad (i notic i am not the only one)
Old 09-26-2002, 06:07 PM

Default Year? Milage? You will get a lot of help here, but you need to start by running a search ...

of the archives. Much of this has been covered in part. There was a thread on removing the trim on the CC headunit just a week or so ago. (edit, found it: https://forums.audiworld.com/a6100/msgs/13225.phtml)
Window switch lights will go out if the window lock is on, check that first.
Door panel removal was covered a few days ago, including switches: https://forums.audiworld.com/a6100/msgs/13382.phtml
Old 09-26-2002, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanx

The car is a 1993 100 cs with a little over 120k. I would like to thank you for finding the links for me, i think i tried searching each topic about five or more times by typing differant things in.It turns out that the bulbs in the back are out because the windows are switched off. I found both the links before and tried to get the trim off but it would not budge and i don't want to throw a hundred dollars or more towards a new one because i cracked it or damaged it in some way. I will go give it another stab right now. Once again i appretiate the help and look forward to others replies.

thanx
Brad
Old 09-27-2002, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Light replacement and engine noise?

Loud ticking on idle is probably the hydraulic tappets (lifters in US english), there are a few possible causes to this but it can cause a lumpy idle as well, although the hesitation sounds more like plugs or fuel injection setup. The tappet noise could be :
1. Needs new oil and filter - this is the first job.
2. It is then possibly the oil pressure relief valve, again this gets a lot of mentions in the forum, have a look back especially on the 2.8 12v's.
3. Could be the lifters themselves are worn out - get all 10 replaced with a new cam-belt at the same time.
4. could be the oil pump is weak - this is going to be the most expensive, especially in terms of labour.

Get new spark plugs fitted as well, if the hesitation is still there, try a new set of ignition leads....

Finally - sometimes, if you tap the windows switches quite hard with your knuckle, with the ignition on (so they should be lit up), they will start to work again for a while. I have done this for a few years and still not had to replace the one faulty switch.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: Light replacement and engine noise?

I am also a recent purchaser of a 1994 100S Wagon. The mirror controller switch on my car does light up, although only the top and right arrows are bright. Maybe there are two lights and one is out. Only the round 4 arrow piece is lit. the two push buttons are not lit. Hope this is useful.