need help with lowered suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with lowered suspension

I have a A6 97Q with eibach springs and bilstein shocks. the rear of the car sits to low by about an inch. not sure what is wrong. springs are pro kit 1528.140 and bilsteins in the rear are BE5-2593 help!
Old 10-29-2002, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Another one falls for the old reverse trick

Ok well like i found out the hard way if you did the suspension yourself, youll need to take apart the back assamblies and turn around the bracket( the on that slides down the shock and sits on the lip neer the bottom of the shock) that holds the bottom of the spring. I know it looks like it should go the way you have it but trust me its not . Take the assembly apart and turn it around. Ths spring will sit on it nicely just like it did the other way. Put it back together and presto yourback to normal.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:26 PM

Kam are using the bilstein spring perch or the oem one with the bilsteins
Old 10-29-2002, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Using the Bilstein ones.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:41 PM

Default Re: need help with lowered suspension

Just to share my own experience on this same issue that's close to my heart ... I went thru this "ordeal" not 6 weeks ago. (Strange problem isn't that... one would think that Bilstein HD/Eibach springs would have sorted this issue out for that "outa-the-box experience" one would expect from a top-rated suspension solution)

I had noted occasional articles and photos the "invert the perch ring" suggestions made in this forum for well over a year prior to my recent car upgrades.

When it came to installation of the Bilstein/Eibach springs and I witnessed first hand this phenomenon of sagging rear end after instalation, I promptly suggested this "invert the perch ring" idea to my car mechanic. We had a good look at that spring perch and had reservations about doing this. (Maybe My Bilstein HD and its perch rings are of a different design to those that Kamakaziep & other contirbutors to this forum talk about???)

Back to my own experience of 6 weeks ago... The rationale applied (on why the perch could not be inverted) was as follows, the perch mounting surface that was clearly intended for the base of the springs to sit on : Rather than being flat throughout, there is a 1 one centimeter drop on the surface plain to accomodate and lock-in-position the starting point of the spring's wire coil.

Secondly, The reverse end of the aluminium perch ring is not a flat contact surface that could accomodate the spring coil but in fact has half-domed (ie CURVED) surface. Also, the absence of the 1 centimeter drop (discussed above)at this perch ring underside could compromise the fast-ness (stability) of spring coil that's not flat where the coil wire starts). Bilstein obviously intended this perch to be unidirectional (not reversible). We wondered if we attempted to invert the perch ring (not that we could, because, remember that the topside surface wasn't flat so cannot be mounted inverted!) potential forces of the spring that's forcing against the perch ring is now focused on a single point of contact... one wonders whether metal fatigue could cause the already soft (aluminium?) ring to fail.

Thirdly, seeing how much lower the car was when configured as Bilstein/Eibach had intended it even using the highest engraved ring (on the outer sleeve of the rear Bilstein suspension unit) was so low that the inversion of the perch (aluminium) could make up for the "eyesore" of a drop in the rear (imho).

In my case, the decision that was eventually decided on was to have an additional ring-groove carefully machined 30mm or about an 1.3 inches(in my case) higher than the upper OEM grooves on the outer sleeve of the Bilstien rear shocks (using professional machining facilities to produce same dimensions (depth and width of the groove channels to be exactly the same as the OEM dimensions). Note also that the 30mm height was NOT arbitarily determined but relied on my car mechanic's extensive experience with suspension set-ups. It involved tedious measurements to see where the "static" or resting height of the springs were on-load and then shocks & springsets removed and the highest setting determined without the spring counteracting the ideal static (rest) position (zone) of the shocks.

Admittedly I'm still a novice in the realm of applied science of shocks & springs setups (in addition to other things technical) so to you out there who know better ... feel free to comment. I would conclude that the above reflects my own experience and may not necessarily be the best solution for your car/shock & spring setups.

Good luck!

Lou