Problems with a '90 100S

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with a '90 100S

Hey,

I recently had some troubles with my 100S. It has 160k miles on it and until lately was a strong runner. First of all, I get warning lights for my brakes and washer fluid, but both seem fine to me. Then earlier this week, the car died. I hadn't realized that I was low on gas because the gas gauge doesn't work too well, but I managed to coast into a gas station and put 10 bucks in. When I tried to start the car again, it wouldn't turn on. If I hit the gas and turned it on then it would run, but only as long as i was hitting the gas.
My first thought was that when the tank emptied and i put some gas in, it knocked around some crap in the gas tank and clogged the fuel filter, because it seemed like the car was just not getting the gas that it needs to run. I ended up having it towed to a garage, who then said that the alternator needs replacing instead. This would seem likely also, but I guess they sensed that I was a college kid so they gave me an insane price that I can't afford. I have a backup car to use so I'm not desperate and would like to do the job myself.
My question, is do you guys think its the fuel filter or the alternator? I had the car jumped initially because i thought i wore the battery down trying to start the car up, and that made the car start working again. I drove about half a mile and it died again. This time the engine wouldn't even try to turn over when I turned the key.
Please help clear up my confusion so I can avoid getting bent over the table by the repair shop. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2002, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Problems with a '90 100S

I would doubt your problems are fuel filter related. Knowing that an alternator, even if you install it your self, is not cheap, Id test it first. Chances are that if a shop said it was faulty, it probably is????? It is not difficult to test it. (More later)
As for the car stalling and not turning over, this would be consistent with a faulty alternator or even an old battery. The car will run very poorly on 10 volts of power, and then die as it pulls the last bit of electricity out to light the spark plugs.

As for testing the alternator. The cheapest way, while not the best way is to charge the battery (which you should do soon before it sulfites from being discharged) and reinstall it. See if the car will run.
Then if it does, turn on your lights, aimed at a gargage door or wall. While watching for a change in brightness, turn off the car. The lights should get dimmer. If they get brighter, the alternator is not creating current, and by shutting off the engine you are sending more of the available current to the lights. THIS IS NOT THE BEST TEST, but it requires no tools or expense. If this is inconclusive, you may need to spend under $20 for a volt, or even better, a volt amp meter to better test teh alternator.

I am not sure if Auto Zone can test an Audi alternator or not, but if they can, its free.

Good luck,
Khris
Old 10-31-2002, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Checker Auto parts does it for free too.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:43 PM

Sounds like alternator!Same happened to my 1992 Jetta.First my stereo started fading away,then I parked and the car won't start-just hummed.Then I jumpstarted it and it will run only for 1/4 of a mile only to die again.Sounds alike,doesn't it?
Old 11-01-2002, 01:33 AM
hao
Audiworld Junior Member

It happened to me once(also run out of gas, put 5 gal in, started but as soon as step on the gas it died).
Try this first--->
1.Park the car in a empty parking lot or road(make sure nothing is in front of you!!!).
2.Gear in "N", start the car then shift to "D" right away, FLOOR IT(maybe half way I forgot, sorry, try floor it first).
3.It should be ok now and you need to drive it on a highway for like 20 mile(don't make a lot of stops).
This worked for my 93 100s. Good luck and let me know if this works.
p.s.
forgive my poor English.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:11 PM

Hey you guys are awesome, thanks a lot for the pointers. I'm going to go ahead and replace the alternator as it is probably due now anyways, and I'lldo those tests that you recommended. I'll give an update about how it turns out. Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2002, 04:15 PM

My friend told You might try to fix it-not replace it.If You want to I'll ask him how.