Queston on timing belt I haven't seen elsewhere

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Queston on timing belt I haven't seen elsewhere

Nothing on search.
I was quoted $1000 for timing belt on '97 A6 from small indy VW/Audi guy. Typical of other places I heard.
But here's the question: I can understand the cost easier in the A4 and Passat since the front of the engine is smacked up against the radiator. But, I just bought my '97 Avant yesterday, and had never really looked at the engine bay. I was surprised how much room there was - you can almost climb in there between the engine and front of the car. Is it really needed to remove the front end to change the timing belt on our Audi's? And of course, if not, then why so much damn money to change?

And to that point, if anyone knows who does a good job/good price timing belt change in Massachusetts, let me know. Thanks
Old 01-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Your conclusions are correct.

On the C4, there is no need to pull the nose apart to change the timing belt. $1000 is pricy.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I thought so, but maybe it was cheaper.

Well I though so. However, my memory might be faulty. I called the shop who had done some work on my former Passat to get his opinion about Audi's when I was looking at both A6 and A4. At the time I was leaning towards the A4 and I remember him talking about the front end. I of course realized my foolishness and didn't want to deal with a car with many more known maintenance problems that the A6 which has a much more bulletproof reputation, even from JD Powers.Anyhow, I think he may have said $750 for the A6. But I still hear people on the A4 forums saying $650. I suppose Joe's Grease Pit shop down the street would be cheap, but really, this seems like something that should be done by an VW/Audi guy, or am I wrong.

I think I need to go and stare at my A6 in the garage again. I can't believe its mine. So long Subaru.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:50 PM

Default I want to say that I got an estimate for $400

It was last year and I don't really remember. I am going to do it myself this spring, no reason to pay someone to work on my car.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Yeah, that seems a little high for just a TB...

Additionally, as has been said, you are correct in that the front end does not need to come off on the C4's. It has been a few years, but I had a COMPLEATE 120k service done on my A6 by a very good Audi indi mechanic, and it was 8-900 dollars TOPS. Now, this service was everything; timing belt, rollers, tensioner, water pump, the whole "TB job", but I also had new plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, cabin filter, oil change, coolant flush, clutch bled, trans oil changed (manual transmission), differential fluids checked/changed, all other fluids checked, really the whole works. So, I do think 1k for just a TB service seems a little high, unless we are talking dealer prices, and then it can be even worse. Good luck!

~scrogers
Old 01-22-2006, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default C4's have a lot of room in front of the engine...

the TB can definately be changed without removing the front end in these cars
Old 01-23-2006, 03:28 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Your critique is a bit harsh.

The A4 with the 2.8 is hardly any more issue prone than the C4's. Putting the nose into service position is not that big of a deal either.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:07 AM

Default Agreed....my indi VW/Audi guy charged me $180 in labor plus.....

$20 for a gallon of coolant when he did my timing belt job. I bought the parts my self at www.europarts-sd.com....rollers, t-stadt, belt, water pump...

Shop around a bit. He said it is a three hour job max, and he even had the correct tools.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It takes less than .5hrs to take a nose off an A4.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bunch of Shops from "Audifans recommended list" inside

European Performance Engineering (rdh@sli.com, others) Bill Pfister 10 Cochituate Street Natick, MA 01760 (508) 651-1316 EPE got my car working in a day (after over two months of Audi dealer messing around). While predominantly a Porsche shop -- there's always a coupla 911's lying in various stages of disassembly, and they race a 911 -- they seem to understand Audis and German cars in general. (I've seen the stray Ferrari, Mercedes, Jaguar, and even an ancient Triumph make an appearance.) They have a dyno if you *really* want to know how much power your car makes . . .

The Benz Den, Dave Clark (rdh@sli.com) 358 Pleasant Street Belmont, MA 02178 (617) 489 6548
Another of these "German Car Werks" type of places. Mostly seem to do BMWs and Mercedes, but Dave Clark seems to have made a hobby of the Ur Quattro (he's got a "spare" one out back that someone wrecked. Very friendly and accomodating folks, they seem to know what they are doing, but I'm only in the middle of my first visit there so can't conclusively say "fer sur". The work I've seen so far looks very promising.

Consumer Collision and Repair
Jim and Tony Ferrechia (David_Wagner@dgc.ceo.dg.com & others)
Hudson, MA
(508)-568-1120
They completely removed the rear bumper/spoiler assembly and repainted, clear-coated, etc... Inspected for any damage... They did a tremendously high quality job and I'll go there again.

Automeister (glen.powell@smc.com) Paiter off Route 20 Sudbury, MA 508-443-5700508-443-5700
One man shop, works on German watercooled cars *only*.

Brentwood Motorcars, 446 Western Av, Allston/Brighton (Boston), MA 617-783-8000 Co-Owner/Head Mechanic: Henry Opland Co-Owner/Service Manager: Chuck
Formerly Beaconwood Motors of Watertown, MA, I have been going to these guys for over 5 years, mostly with my 87 4000CSQ, now with my 90 Coupe Quattro. Always exemplary service, they also specialize in BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, VW, Volvo. They will take on other makes now as well. They will do full or partial detailing service. They will also help with logistics/local transportation.

Quick Reply: Queston on timing belt I haven't seen elsewhere