Radar wiring? Location? (Searched...)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar wiring? Location? (Searched...)

I seem to remember that there is a panel to get into the sun roof controls- could a radar detector be wired there?? Also- is top of windshield best place? I'm gonna get the V-1 and wnat to think this through befor plunking down the $$$.
There was one write-up on placement/wiring, but I'd like other opinions.
TIA
Old 11-25-2003, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default I have installed V1 and remote display.

I put radar right under the rear view mirror to the left from the mirror's base. The suction cups are covered by the EZPass. I followed the hard wire instructions, put wires inside of the A pillar and wired to the read defroster fuse thought the supplied radar fuse. Then I put the remote display right under the tachometer.
I find this setup quite good. The main unit is hard to notice because it is covered by rear view mirror and EZPass (see bellow picture). It does not show any lights (everything is coming from the remote display on the instrument cluster. The main unit sits high, so you cannot see it though the side windows and it gets good reception from both front and rear.

The problems are:

1. I want to have it even more hidden. I think right now the biggest issue is the suction cups. I plan to use the vissior holder for the V1 and attach radar directly to the rear view mirror. It will be away from the windshield and almost undetectable from the front of the car.

2. When cops stop me, I need to remove the radar ASAP with one hand and do not attract too much attention. I usually end up with the wire pulled out of the headliner. I need some kind of quick release or even better some servo, which will move radar into the hidden location.

3. The Mute button on the remote display is better, that on the main unit, but still would prefer something on my finger tips. I am thinking about using one of the cruise control buttons instead (I never use the cruise control any way). Or I can follow the instructions and add button to the steering wheel.

But really look around - there are many very creative installations. I have seen the remote display in rear view mirror, inside of the instrument cluster, replacing the trip computer and carefully crafted in the wooden trim.

BTW V1 is very good choice.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so the remote is a "must get?" would you be able to...

read the unit where you have it without the remote? or is the issue cops seeing the v-1? I'm wondering if that's an issue, other than the embarrassment factor of getting nailed with a 400 dollar light machine...

Do you have a sun roof?? wondering if there is anything there or is A-pillar the accepted location for hard wiring? now I'm getting excited about getting one! thanks for the encouragement (my wife won't be thanking you- this is a "stealth mod" that will miss her radar!!)

[edit] oh- and thanks for the great reply!!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Re: so the remote is a "must get?" would you be able to...

rome costs 10% of the unit and I think it worth it, but you can handle everthing from the main unit. Remote is good, when you are planing to have really clean install. another factor - lights can been see though the rear glass. I prefer to have main unit blacked out.

I have moonroof. But A pillar is the only usable location for wires. You can tuckle wire under the pillar or you can pry it off, install wire, secure it with the tape and then put it back. It is your call. I spent 2 hours installing the freaking wires, but right now I have now wires visible at all.

BTW - radar should be stealth. There are bunch of clouns with ricer cars and they have some $50 radars "on display". We preffer to do it quietly.

Ah, and my "super plan" it to integrate computer into the car. I have GPS installed on laptop. I also want to hook up radar and police scaner to the laptop, so it will make ran some custom logic before promting me for the warning. Next stem is install rear view camera with A.I. image recognition and constantly monitor my rear for police cars. Next step would be to get some of the stealth fighter paint, repaint my car. And the last step would be to install ground-to-ground missales, homing on the police radar.

As you can see, I do not like speed limits.