Relays draining battery... I think

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relays draining battery... I think

I have Audi 100 '93.RHD (UK)
I know I have a faulty relay behind the door jamb panel.
I could hear it clicking and grunting when key was off and battery would drain.
This relay (The big double one identified by pulling out the other 3) has been replaced and the new battery is now totally dead. Car starts very easily with jump leads and will continue to start on the battery within about 8 hours of last stop, so it is charging, but overnight, forget it.
The replacement (almost $300 worth) relay has not solved the problem and I now have the added bonus of reversing lights only working when my foot is on the brake and being unable to select a gear with foot on brake.Help?
Old 11-19-2004, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The relay is a window relay.....

seems many of these cars have this exact problem, and so has mine. There is no real fix for it. It's not a faulty relay though. You can pull the relay out, but then your windows won't work. The problem comes from the all window close feature, for when you turn your key in the door and all the windows close. I found that by pulling the circuit breaker for that feature, it stopped draining the battery. You would just loose that feature.

The circuit breaker is in the box under the hood top driverside. I can't remember which circuit breaker it is though.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Re: The relay is a window relay.....

Wow that's quick!
Thanks, I'll try doing that (waitng for daylight)and get back to you.
Fingers crossed.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Leave the relays in. Pull rear seat. Get radio code. Pull battery. Now you have access to the door lock vaccuum pump. This contains the delay computer for operating the windows after the key is out. Cut the only solid yellow (no stripes) wire and tape the ends. The only function you will lose is the ability to close the windows with the key from the outside.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:18 PM

Thanks guys.
I've taken out the green (middle) relay and it seeems to solve the problem.... I have no interior light, no radio and no windows but no draining of battery!!!!
I can live with this temporarily by putting the relay back after start up then pulling it again when I park. I'm a little wary of cutting wires though .... seems a bit drastic.
The radio is non standard and has not been wired to the ACC circuit and does not switch off with the key (bodge job, I'd guess)I want to replace the radio anyway as it has no CD Player so may leave it as is until I get that done.
Thanks to your help, I've got a live battery again.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:25 AM

Does anyone know where this relay is? Im having the same problem and want to give this a shot?