Sunroof Update..

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Update..

Alright,

Well, I'd like to thank Dave for sending me a new sunroof switch (niiiiice box, btw - my mom was like WTF IS THIS?!). I installed it today, and it actually worked.

But, only for about two minutes. Now, nothing.

I can't pinpoint if it's the motor, or my ignition switch.

The audi dealership did say that my motor was "bad" when they "examined" it, but after the past few times I've been there, I take everything they say for a grain of salt.

It also doesn't help that the sunroof motor I ordered on ebay doesn't work properly, so I can't troubleshoot that either.

Also, something different I did today was disconnect the battery before plugging everything in.

Oh, and I also tried jiggling the key to see if it was an ignition switch problem, but I have yet to see that make any difference.

Should I just order a new ignition switch and see if that's the culprit?

I don't have any other electrical problems though, so I'm somewhat hesitant on doing this...
Old 07-16-2007, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default longshot...maybe it's the brushes in the motor

sometimes they'll make a motor work intermittently when they're dirty or failing. I see that a LOT in VW window motors.

It would be pretty easy to take the metal 'cap' off the motor to inspect and clean them. Sometimes they get gummed up in their track with carbon dust and some electrical contact cleaner cleans them out good.

If you're getting current at the switch then it's probably not a bad ignition switch. Can test for that with multi meter or test lamp.

Fwiw, I pulled a sunroof motor from a 95 or 96 A6 awhile back and it's just sitting in my garage as a spare. If worse comes to worst I'd consider sending it to you to help you test your system.