Would you be afraid of high miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Would you be afraid of high miles?

My 92 100 CS is for sale. My newspaper ad resulted in 3 or 4 calls in just the first few days. Every caller asked how many miles. After I said "204K" they all pretty much hung up.

The ad says "high miles". I suppose to people looking for a used car that is 14 yrs old, maybe they think 100K is high. My asking price is $3499, which is 500 less than Kelly BB tags it at $3999 (with 200K!)

I'm sure there are people who know audis out there who understand this is not that high for this car, especially since I have all maintenence records with all of the "common problems" taken care of.

If you were in the market for this car, what type of miles would you expect?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If it's a manual transmision I wouldn't be scared...

But if there is 200k on the auto transmission and no maintenance has been done to it, yeah I would be scared.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 173 Likes on 152 Posts
Default At your car's mileage, the drivetrain may or may not be near its end-of-life (depends on how it...

maintained and driven over the last 14 years). So, you'll probably find a lot of potential buyers that will not pursue a purchase. For me, I would also not pursue it since there MIGHT be some large repair costs in the near future. If it is in great shape mechanically and cosmetically, I would emphasize those points to any interested buyer.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Put the mileage in the ad.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:12 PM

Default LoL, well, I'm still shaking a little...

I have a manual, and 172k on the clock. I am in the process of waiting for a full diagnosis as to my transmission failure (clutch drop to the floor and stick... more info a few posts down). I may (hopefully) luck out with just some hydraulic repairs, but I have already been warned that a full clutch job is going to probably run 1.2k-1.5k with parts and labor (from an indi, not dealer) and that does seem a little scary for a high mileage car. In response to audijim, I hear you with people gawking at much over 100k these days. Most people can't believe it when I tell them 172k on mine. As has been said, with all the proper documentation and maintenance, I'd probably have no problem with a high mileage car/Audi if the price was right, but unfortunately many these days are scared of "high mileage = high maintenance" and with my recent/current experience, I have begun to see a little of their fear.

~scrogers
Old 01-21-2006, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree. A good filter for looky-loos. They might try to beat you up on price though.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:19 PM

Default Just write Hwy miles in the ad. HIgh miles is a double edged sword. Best case most stuff has already

been replaced. Worst case it's @ the end of it's life. IMHO, @ that price w/ those miles, your main demographic is someone who knows about audis. Most everyone else, will start comparing it to newer cars w/ 85-100K miles. (about the point where **** starts to brake on most cars.)
Old 01-21-2006, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Those are high miles and a high price.

NADA has $2500 as low retail. It depends on the condition of everything else too, but if I was a buyer that would scare me away to a car with lower miles. Have the control bushings, cv boots, brakes been replaced?
Old 01-22-2006, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm looking for one right now ....

Unfortunately I'm in Seattle. There's tons on the east coast and not many in my neck of the woods. I'm thinking I'll end up in the higher mileage group as well. I don't care. They're good cars.
Let me know if you wanna ship it.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:37 AM
DM

Default Most people assume 10 -12K miles per year

I have a92 100CSQ Avant with 149k. I figure I would probably be lucky to get half of Kelly book value for it. Most people are afraid of cars with over 100K miles. Even if you have all service records. I had the same problem with an Acura with 160k miles priced 3K below KBB. Everyone wasn't interested in it after they heard the mileage. There was nothing wrong with the car, in fact it is still being driven daily over two years later. Unless you can find an Audi enthusiast who is interested in buying it the best thing to do may be just keep driving it. Thats what I am planning on doing.

Quick Reply: Would you be afraid of high miles?