Audi oddities..any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi oddities..any ideas?

Hi everybody!

My CGT has a minor, but annoying glitch...If I turn the hazard light switch on, the reaction from the car is inconsistent. Sometimes only the left side lights flash, sometimes the clicker relay just buzzes, and sometimes it doesn't do anything at all. Turn signals work perfectly. I have replaced the hazard switch, and the relay as well as checking the fuses...all good.

Another problem is that the dimmer rheostat dims the backlighting on the center console, but does nothing for the intensity of the digidash, which sometimes decides to go full bright at night, and sometimes is fairly dim. I have tried a different dimmer rheostat, but got the same result. All connections are good. Has anyone had similar problems? They are very minor, but annoying because I want the car to be in perfect order. Thanks in advance
Old 07-23-2003, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My hazards do something like that also...

...it depends on how hard I hit the switch. If I just lightly push in the switch, it'll let out a continuous buzz, and the hazards won't work. The only way I've found to prevent this is to really <i>whap</i> the switch fairly hard, then it'll blink like normal.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:55 PM

Default ha i thought i was teh only one

yeah i dont use my flasher cuz my car dosnt break down hehe but yeah i just turn teh turnsignal to teh right and flip teh hazardslol

for some reason everynow and agin just turning teh ignition to accesory my dash buzzes likea **** and i cant figuer it out
Old 07-23-2003, 10:41 PM

Default dash answers

the rheostat doesn't control the intensity of the digidash. that's controleld by a light sensor built into the "vent" on the left side of the cluster housing.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: dash answers

Thanks Nervikterklieb,

In the 15 Years I've owned the GT, I always thought it was just busted! Maybe I should settle down by the fire with the owner's manual:-). It still sounds like the light sensor is intermittent, so I'll conquer that next. Thanks for the info!

Dan
Old 07-24-2003, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: ha i thought i was teh only one

It sounds like an epidemic! It sure is a good thing that my GT hasn't ever broken down on me(knock on wood, of course)! Now I'm really starting to get curious! Hitting the switch didn't work-I tried it albeit with some restraint! The relay I swapped was brand new, but the hazard switch was off an 86 4000. I wonder if that is a really common failure for that particular switch. I will search for a new one, as it is rare for the wiring itself to fail, and appears to be in pretty good shape. It's a process of enimination!

Thanks for the input!