Boost boost boost, I love boost :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boost boost boost, I love boost :)

I never thought Id have such a big grin on my face.
Its december, so its been around a month I think since Ive had the car on its feed and driving around.
Ive found myself doing this (in a safe, controlled zone). Getting the car in 1st or 2nd around 3500rpm and just punching the throttle and shifting all the way through the gears. I got the car on the highway last night for the first time, and it cooks! In 3rd and 4th the car really rockets off the ramp and into traffic, Im very pleased.
Sorry that I keep posting these pointless posts .

On a crappier note, I may have to take the car off the road again. It seems there may be a problem with the clutch/TO bearing/pressure plate. Hard to tell for sure, but Im going easy on the clutch in stop and go traffic.

I still need to get my snows on and get a video of the beast. Im already wanting a chip and WG spring!!

Again, I highly suggest this swap for somebody looking for a project
Old 12-02-2005, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amen brother

I'm running 12 psi or about 1.8 bar with a K24. I almost never get into the boot in first, run out of revs way too fast. I love a hard pull starting in third and shifting to fourth. Rumbling around town (3" cat-back + flowmaster) is even fun, a slight press on the throttle brings a large, smooth torque surge so fun that it is hard to pay attention to the pesky speed limit signs.

AAMOF, I have an Ur-q trans and diff that I'm planning on installing so I can run the longer gears to take more advantage of the torque.

I had some clutch issues a while ago, that eventually got sorted out by hydraulic system bleeds. I got a bubble in there that was really hard to get free, but once done, it has been great.

I picked up some wheels, now I just need some snows for them, (and back off the aggressive alignment) and then I can go play turbo in the snow...ought to be fun!!!<ul><li><a href="http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/1973/darth.jpg">Darth Vader, your Audi is here</a></li></ul>
Old 12-02-2005, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nice to hear your enjoying the car!
Old 12-02-2005, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Damn! Your 4ktq is sweet!
Old 12-02-2005, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default nice car.

did you mean .8 bar?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

**** yeah!!!
Old 12-03-2005, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Most turbo modders I have encountered

...measure from full vacuum, so the first 1.0 bar is to atmospheric, then an additional 0.8 bar above ambient gives you a total of 1.8 bar. If you visit motorgeek, audifans, etc, and see reference to MC motors running 1.8 bar, they will show about 12 psi on a boost gauge at full song.

I guess the logic is that on a non-turbo motor, it runs pretty much at a vacuum in the intake all the time, so anything above that is a benefit of the turbo, and worthy of measurement. I do know that even with the boost gauge reading around zero on mild acceleration, the torque far exceeds that of the stock na engine
Old 12-03-2005, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default no turbo modders i've encountered do that.

they measure actual boost.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: no turbo modders i've encountered do that: Not True..

As the urq factory boost gauge is calibrated with atmos=1 bar, that's how I look at things. Perpahs more of a 'European' way it's looked at too.

Also many standalone ECU systems use 'absolute' pressure when mapping, as thats what the motor actually deal with.

Ie, as far as a turbo motor is concerned, wheather the intake manifold is above or below atmospheric pressure (+ or - on the gauge) doesent matter. It's the absolute pressure in the manifold that matters.

Now all that being said, I'd say gauge pressure above atmosphere measuring boost is more 'intuitive'.

So all gets down to what one is familiar with, and what you are trying to get across, I guess... :-)
Old 12-03-2005, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Told ya so!

so...

Have you had it up to full boost yet?

Hauling out in 3rd gear, 3500 rpm up is soooo much fun in the urq..

Must be even quicker in your shorter geared 4000q!

Quick Reply: Boost boost boost, I love boost :)