CGT stalling: UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CGT stalling: UPDATE

been messing around with her all day.

Changed the fuel filter, drained all old fuel, added new and fixed a bad ground wire in the engine bay (actually thought that was the solution, but no)

Car now idles fine. As soon I apply a little throttle it starts to sputter, and if I floor it (at standstill, no load) it just dies. If i let it idle long enough it will also just die out.

I tried to loosen one banjo bolt on the delivery line to the fuel distributor. When idleing fuel sprays out, indicating pressure from the pump.

If i then floor it, so it dies, and loosen the same bolt again, there is absolutely no fuel at all, line is empty.

Furthermore the pump has a weak rattle when running, that i dont like, and it does not make the normal "hum" that i used to hear inside the car. Its just all silent. The rattle can only be heard from underneath the car, with my head all the up to the pump.

After the filter change, it took several minutes (10-15 seconds at a time) on the starter before it would start, indicating to me, that it took very long time for the pump to pump the fuel up to the engine.

To me all this is indicating, that the pump is not making enough pressure, and is bad, needs replacement.

Am I all wrong here? Or does my assumtions make some sence (assumptions is the mother of all f**k ups :-D)
Old 11-21-2007, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What about the injectors? Injector "o" rings?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:06 AM

Default Have you looked at the filter inside the banjo bolt?

According to a member of the swede forum there's a filter that he had some problems with. Check if you see something! Try compressed air trough the bolt. Here's the Swedish text for you:

Provkörningen skulle klaras av på vägen hem ifrån jobbet (5,5mil). Hon låter bra och efter ett par hundra meter och ger jag hela foten - 3000 rpm - spika spika bluddra etc... ...tvärdör vid belastning.

Plocka isär sätta ihop, provköra - samma resultat!

Börjar leta vaccumläckor, byta tändkablar etc etc utan några resultat. Men till sist noterar jag att bränslefiltret är "uppblåst", dvs ser ut som en "sprayburk" istället för en "läskburk" i den falsade ändan. Då började jag misstänka stopp i bränslesystemet och frisk pump...

Och en stund senare har jag lokaliserat ett filter till som jag inte visste fanns, nämligen innuti banjon som ansluter igående bensin i k-jet huvudet - och det var igensatt! Undrar hur många som haft problem med det utan att känna till det?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Flow test?

While not a great fuel pump test, the 'flow test' may give you some idea as to what's going on..

Just disconnect the feed fuel line up front (catch the fuel in a gas can or similar), and see how much fuel comes out when you force the fuel pump on (by jumpering or forcign the relay).

It goes withoiut saying that you have to be careful, as you'll have raw gas loose..

You shoudl get a good stream of fuel coming out. I *think* there may be a specified amount in the bently, but I'm not sure.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:57 AM

Default Re: CGT stalling: UPDATE

Had the whole fuel pump off the car now.

Hooked it up to 12v and let it pump.

It is pumping a steady flow, but the hight of the flow is only 3-4 inches and pressure is not that high, easy to block with a finger.

I thought it was supposed tp give around 5-6 bars of pressure, and that is quite alot, nothing like what im seeing.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default it should be forcing out past your finger at 90lb or 6-7 bar

If you can truly stop the flow with finger pressure, I think the pump is your problem.

1 bar is about 14psi, right?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 14.5psi... so yeah, just about...

no way your finger could stop 90 psi of pressure though w/o some sorta leaking or you getting fuel pumped through your blood :-P

I'd say your pump has $hit the bed
Old 11-21-2007, 12:34 PM

Default thanks, took the bolt out, filter is there actually

tried blowing through it.

It does not allow a lot of flow, but its not completely blocked.

Am trying a preplacement pump first of (it really feels bad), if that does not work, the banjo will be second
Old 11-24-2007, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That screen in the banjo can cause problems

They are supposed to get replaced by a non-screened fitting.