Groove worn on inside of wheel, is it still safe to drive on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Groove worn on inside of wheel, is it still safe to drive on?

So my powder coated wheels did not get salvaged off of my totaled car and I want black wheels again on my new car. I had the old tires busted off a spare set of wheels to prep them for powder. Last night while scrubbing the brake dust, road grime, and sticky foam stuff from balancing weights off the wheels, I found three of the wheels have been scraped by something. Two are not bad, one having a minor surface scuff, the other has a very minor groove. The third wheel however is much worse. The groove is between 1/16 and 3/32" deep and is about 1/8" wide. Not sure if this was done by a rock getting stuck between the brake caliper and the wheel or maybe a bleeder valve that was a bit on the long side??

Does anyone know what the cross section thickness of the stock 4kq wheels is? Has anyone seen this happen before? Is the wheel still safe to drive on?

I will be glass bead blasting the wheels before having them powder coated but I don't want to waste my time if the wheel needs to be replaced. Quick responses would be much appreciated as I will be starting the blasting tonight after work.

Thanks!!