How many people here are doing turbo swaps??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many people here are doing turbo swaps??

Lets hear from all you!!
How far along are you?
What Car?
What engine?
Turbo?
EFI?
What suspension setup?
Oh and whats your biggest headache/headaches of the whole swap?

We all love specs
Old 08-20-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Theres probably half of us doing it.

Im doing it on my 4kq. Its purely race though, interior is stripped and coated (rubberized bedliner coating). Next will be the engine bay work, which will even be more time consuming due to some rust spots. The bay is stripped as well, but still needs paint/coating. The engine will be 20vt when I aquire one (most likely 3b due to parts costing a little less (IE coil packs) than the aan version)

The biggest headache of all is financing it. Gotta pay to play as the saying goes..
Old 08-20-2005, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Im fed up with my swap

Im almost done
1986 4000 quattro
Donor motor from a 1986 5000 turbo quattro
Stock K26 turbo
No EFI yet (big mistake), running CIS for now
Current set up for suspension is H&R springs with Boge Turbo Gas shocks. BUT I have Koni adjustables in the trunk awaiting install.

Biggest headache? Getting all the electrical gremlins figured out in the end. Im at my wits end with this project, I swear. My knowledge of CIS and or the donor car arent that good. Add that to the fact that there are NO Audi people to help me out in my area! The physical part of the swap is fun, getting things in place is pretty simple. Troubleshooting WHY the car will not turn over is the worst, especially with a project car like this.
Im almost ready to quit
Old 08-20-2005, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yup

How far along are you? Pretty well along. Everything mechanical is done. Just need to mount airbox, plumb intercooler, mount oil cooler, connect the wires, and fire it up.

What Car? 1985 Audi Coupe GT

What engine? 1987 MC1 from a 5000CS.

Turbo? Stock K26.

EFI? Not yet, maybe later.

What suspension setup? Jamex springs, quattro sway bar in front, Addco bar in rear, soon to be some Boge's or something.

Oh and whats your biggest headache/headaches of the whole swap? Hmm. Well, thus far it's probably the stupid airbox. Next time, it's EFI or definitely Urq parts. Motor out and motor in was easy, transmission and whatnot was easy. Just takes time.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:32 AM

Default I am continuing a swap

I just bought the car from Greg (atmos) and will be finishing the project. I am adding Megasquirt EFI, a K24 and some other goodies with the intent of making this a track car. Here is a link to the project details:<ul><li><a href="http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2407">Motorgeek project diary</a></li></ul>
Old 08-21-2005, 10:55 AM

Atmos sold his car? Wtf??
Old 08-21-2005, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Count me in =)
Old 08-21-2005, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Dude, don't make a track car out of it...

I saw that car before the swap started, and it was by far the cleanest 4KQ I've seen since they were new in the showrooms. Don't screw it up on the track. Make a nice clean factory looking turbo road car out of it and buy a beater to track with - just in case you trade paint on the track.

J.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:38 PM

Default mine may not have race power but its easy

on my KX motor i plan to run a pipe from the stock manifold, to a subaru turbo i got for free from a friend, sitting where the battery does now, rework the intake tubes, hook up a water injection before the turbo, so i dont need an intercooler (it really works better) and maybe slap an oil cooler on it. wouldnt even have to pull the head or swap manifolds. (if all goes well)
Old 08-21-2005, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default add the water injection after the turbo

If all the water is not evaporated and the droplets hit the turbine blades, you can expect them to be eroded pretty quickly.

Quick Reply: How many people here are doing turbo swaps??