I discovered a fuel leak last night.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I discovered a fuel leak last night.

I could smell gas after filling up, however I thought it was coming from the seal at the fuel sender inlet to the tank. Last night After playing w/ injectors, I got under the car to look at the fuel lines.

There was a intermitttant drip, somewhat steady, from the fuel pump area. It looks like a easily removed panel down there below the pump/accluminator.

Do you think I can get away with just tightening the connections? It's pretty dirty down there... and I couldn't see what the condition of everything was above the panel.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: I discovered a fuel leak last night.

The whole thing should come out as one unit with the parts ziptied (!) to the fuel tray. The fittings on the NLA plastic fuel lines or the accumulator may have rusted through. Before you pull it apart, you will need new mounts to reattach the tray back onto the car since the old ones will likely fall apart. If the fittings on the plastic lines are shot, there is a source for the hard to find barbed fittings on the accumulator.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So, gingerly remove this, eh?

If these fittings are NLA, could there be a "local" replaement at a plumbing supply house? Or, how about "JB Welds It"?

I'm getting ahead of myself.... I havn't got the fuel tray down and looked ar this.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I discovered a fuel leak last night.

source???
Old 05-08-2008, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not too sure yet, it's dripping off the fuel tray.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SpecialTAuto

They have a whole bunch of CIS fittings including the accumulator ones. Search for 30732 on the linked page, they even have the correct high pressure fuel line and clamps if you need them. The only gotcha is that the fittings aren't 90 degree angle like the stock Audi ones, couldn't hurt to e-mail and see if they can source them.<ul><li><a href="http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/fuel-injection.html">http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/fuel-injection.html</a</li></ul>
Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: SpecialTAuto

Thanks, I think I'll just run to my local Delorean shop and give him the old lines and see if he can make me up a set.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's the fuel pump.

I got under there and removd the fuel tray. It's leaking out the seam of the fuel pump, not the hoses.

I'm trying the "J B Welds it" to correct it temporarily.. if that doesn't work, I guess that it will be new pump time.

Any ideas?
Old 05-09-2008, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: It's the fuel pump.

seam?? What seam,where the end meets the pump housing? Are you sure it's not a copper ring leaking and spraying back on the pump body and appearing to be the pump? Also, check the condition of the "cap nut" holding on the line, mine was rotted and leaking where it met the copper seal ring and banjo fitting.

I'm not sure I would rely on JB weld there.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default When looking at the pump w/ fuel tray removed>>>

and still hanging up where it normally lives, the leak occurs where the body of the fuel pump meets the end, where the hose and wires go to the pump. The leak is easily visable, as welling up from this area, no spraying noted from another part. It's leaking about 1" from this round end, near the bottom. This appears to be a seam where the pump meets the end plate that accepts the hose and wiring.

I cleaned the pump off of all the crud very carefully so as not to move the hoses much, and started the car. Leak only occurs with pump running.

I don't like the JB Welds It there either. it may not work a'tll. I'm just trying to get the car to Carlsile where perhaps I can find a replacement pump and install it there.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: I discovered a fuel leak last night.