I need a CIS "expert" in the Central PA area (long story)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Does your car have an ISV?

It does have an ISV. I cleaned the gunk out of it. I put 12v on it both ways and it moves both ways. Impedance test was good. That was all O could think of to "test" it.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I had the exact same problem with my 85 CGT

unfortunatly I had an engine compartment fire before I found the problem.
The car would run with the DPR unplugged and the ECU disconnected, I hooked up a hot wire for the cold start valve so I could run the car, but it was a slug and not running properly.
Knowing what I think I know now I would say it's most likely electrical, are all your grounds coonected, are there any plugs with bad pins, I would get out an ohmeter and start checking for open lines or grounds that are bad.
One more note, even though a plug and wire looks good and tight, check if the voltage flows through it, because the wire could be oxidized in the metal tang and stopping the flow of electric.
Good Luck.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like spare fuse or intake man. grounds
Old 08-29-2007, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So did you get any sucess yet?

Any sign of sucess yet, or is it time for me to start typing? :-)
Old 08-29-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: So did you get any sucess yet?

No success yet. I checked all of the grounds last night.

I have the service manual, and I am going to start metering out the connection to the computer.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's some thoughts..

It sounds like a mixture problem, somehow.

Clearly,they fudged something by bypassing the dif pres regulator.

WITHOUT THE DPR CONNECTED: you get no cold start enrichment or o2 sensor action or altitude compensation.

Without the dif pressure connector on, nothing the ECU does will even work. So really, you have to put the connector on, then adjust accordingly.

I'm not sure exactly what ECU you are running, as it's the 2.3 But in general, the information bvlow shodl apply to either ECU (JT style, or the newer one that you can pull codes from)

So.. Where to start?

-Is the 'spare fuse' (#22 or 24? only one along the 'side' closest to the fender) good, nad gettting power?

-are the grounds on the intake manifold in good shape, and the lugh clean? (wiring often cracks there, and that ground is for the ECU,and the coolant temp sensor.

-Consider this: If the o2 sensor fails in a certain way, the car runs like crap, BUT will run OK if the full throttle switch is tripped, and/or the o2 sensor is actually disconnected.

-If you don't hook up the DPR connector, then the ECU can't contlrol anything, so you want to work back to getting the thing running WITH the DPR connected, even if it's open loop mode to start with.

If that was what was happening, and they messed around to compensate:

Try and figure out how to measure current throught the dif pressure regultor , with the o2 sensor disconnected, but the DPR connected electrically.

Should be around 10 ma (default open loop current). Which is about 10 ma more that it's getting now. (or 0 on the newer ECU? CHeck your Bently)

So when you connect the DPR connector, the mixture will be way different than it is now. You'll probably have to adjsut the mixture leaner to compensate. Adjsut a little bit at a time..(CCW=Leaner) and keep track of how much you adjusted in case you want to go back! :-)

But you should be able to get it there with a few tries of puttting the connector on and off to see where you are. Try and get it running with the DPR connector on.

Once you get it running in 'open loop' with the o2 sensor disconnected, but with the DPR connected, only THEN add in the o2 sensor, and see whathappens. If the whole thing takes a dump, thet that was the problem. If not,then things should start sorting themselves out.

And if this doesn't make sense, then send me an email, and we can go from there..

Good luck!