Looking for help with the rear brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for help with the rear brake lines

Hey gang;

I am not near my car or have my factory manual handy, I was hoping someone knew what the length of steel brake line I need to fix the rear Passenger brakes on my CGT. Once that is done, I believe I have a good battery and I can get some enjoyment out of the beast. Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike K
Old 09-20-2006, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Dependz

You want to replace all the line from the MC back? Or just a rusted out section? Depending on your level of patience and skill, replace as much as you can. Remember that there are two lines to the rear, one for each wheel. NAPA sells the line $10 for 20 feet of steel and $20 for 20 feet PVL coated steel. Cheep insurance to replace as much as you can...the lines have a tendancy to rust out beneath the rubber mounts..just where you can't see--the rest of the line may look perfect.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Planning on doing the full line

I want the insurance of two good Brake lines. So I was going to go from the MC back to the rubber lines.

Mike K
Old 09-20-2006, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Cool

For the cost, I would pick up 40 feet and make sure I had enough. The remainder isn't going to spoil. The rubber lines are fairly cheap as well ($8-$12 each IIRC). The ones on the car are probably 20 years old now...
Old 09-21-2006, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Cool

I know, I think the rubber lines will be changed this winter to braided stainless steel. It should work better on the track for brake line cooling.

Cheers;
Old 09-21-2006, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I could be totally wrong...

...but I don't think braided lines will make much difference to cooling. Besides, the rubber lines on the rear of the Coupe don't go all the way to the wheel cylinders. They are intermediate pieces between the body and the swing arm.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Another approach.

If you don't like making (flaring) brake lines:

Find out the lengths of each piece, and get the next longer size already made, with the ends on (From, say Canadian Tire).

(The front to back line you'll have to get as two pieces, and join them with a connector. Connectors are available..)

Once you have the old lines out, bend the new lines to about the same shape (using the old as a template), and install. If there is extra length, you can 'S' them to use up a bit of the exta length. Comes out not bad, and the rear is WAY easier to do than the front hard lines. Good idea to replace the rubber hoses at the same time, and you'll probably see no improvement using braided soft lines. Just something else to go wrong..

Anyway.. The key information that you need is the hard line lengths.

That information IS on that "Family Pictures" system, so maybe someone can look that up for you?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Longest I've seen pre-made at Crappy was 60" IIRC.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

For the front to back, I joined two together with a coupler..
Old 09-22-2006, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This is probably the approach I am going to use

I think 6 feet of brake line should be enough to go from the brake MC to the pass left brake connection. What do you all think? I have taken so many short cuts on cars over the years, that I just dont want to do it on this one.

Cheers;

Quick Reply: Looking for help with the rear brake lines