My 1985 4000 turbo quattro project

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle94
Im getting to excited for this! D:
Perfect. That's how I want people to feel about doing something like this to their car.

I think I've got it about figured out. I'd like to get the car running before I commit to a list of what to do, just because if something fries I want it to be mine and don't want bad info freely floating about the internet for all time (like the Digitalnoise fusebox diagram).

-Rog
Old 07-03-2012, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogviler
Perfect. That's how I want people to feel about doing something like this to their car.

I think I've got it about figured out. I'd like to get the car running before I commit to a list of what to do, just because if something fries I want it to be mine and don't want bad info freely floating about the internet for all time (like the Digitalnoise fusebox diagram).

-Rog
And when its running, i want video! lol.
Bad info is not good. i probably would have followed that guide too if i had not found this site and posted up about the swap.

I honestly can't wait to pick up the turbo parts car near the end of the month! start tearing it apart and keeping what i need. and im sure i will have quesitons about it too. it will be getting parted out after i get off it what i need.
EDIT: (cause i finally got my edit rights! thanks!)
and, what all do you have to do to have it running?

Last edited by Kyle94; 07-03-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What's left is pretty much wiring and installing the airbox/intercooler/piping. Oh, and connecting the downpipe to the 4kq exhaust (about a 12" bend's worth of pipe), but it doesn't need that to run, just to not annoy the neighbors.

-Rog
Old 07-03-2012, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

What's left is pretty much wiring and installing the airbox/intercooler/piping. Oh, and connecting the downpipe to the 4kq exhaust (about a 12" bend's worth of pipe), but it doesn't need that to run, just to not annoy the neighbors.

-Rog
does the 5kqt's downpipe fit to the 4kq's exhaust?
im hoping i can find a decently priced intercooler to run. since the 5kqt's wont fit... :/ ?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

does the 5kqt's downpipe fit to the 4kq's exhaust?
im hoping i can find a decently priced intercooler to run. since the 5kqt's wont fit... :/ ?
It doesn't bolt right up, but what I've done is cut the 5000 downpipe just after the Y where the wastegate joins. Then I'm cutting most of the 4000 downpipe back to just the flange where it connects to the catalytic converter. Then it's just a matter of a short bend to connect the two, welded of course. If I get it started before connecting the exhaust I'm sure it'll be pretty wild.

My eBay single-pass front mount intercooler was less than $50. You can use the 5000 intercooler, but you either need to gut the core support or move it over in front of the radiator and run really long piping. Other than requiring kind of a hack job, the main reason I didn't use it is it's not very strong. I believe the endcaps are some kind of plastic, and they tend to blow off at some point, especially if you turn up the boost. An all-aluminum with welded seams is going to be pretty bulletproof.

Other options are the UrQ one, of course, and I've seen nice things done with a Mitsubishi Starion one. They tend to be closer to $100 though, so you might as well go generic. Saabs reportedly have some nice intercoolers as well. It might serve to wander through the junkyard with a measuring tape, too.

-Rog
Old 07-03-2012, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

It doesn't bolt right up, but what I've done is cut the 5000 downpipe just after the Y where the wastegate joins. Then I'm cutting most of the 4000 downpipe back to just the flange where it connects to the catalytic converter. Then it's just a matter of a short bend to connect the two, welded of course. If I get it started before connecting the exhaust I'm sure it'll be pretty wild.

My eBay single-pass front mount intercooler was less than $50. You can use the 5000 intercooler, but you either need to gut the core support or move it over in front of the radiator and run really long piping. Other than requiring kind of a hack job, the main reason I didn't use it is it's not very strong. I believe the endcaps are some kind of plastic, and they tend to blow off at some point, especially if you turn up the boost. An all-aluminum with welded seams is going to be pretty bulletproof.

Other options are the UrQ one, of course, and I've seen nice things done with a Mitsubishi Starion one. They tend to be closer to $100 though, so you might as well go generic. Saabs reportedly have some nice intercoolers as well. It might serve to wander through the junkyard with a measuring tape, too.

-Rog
Do you have a link/picture to your intercooler? 50$ isnt too bad. i dont remember seeing one, but ill go back in look through your thread again...
not to many cars around here in our JY's are turbo. and if they are, all the parts are gone.
im still new to boost... not sure how one "turns it up" rofl. ive had N/A cars all my 3yrs of driving.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Okay, some more wiring...

Kostal pin #14 needs to go to pin S on connector B of the fusebox. What does that mean? Well, I'm going to blatantly copy Taco here, but with maybe a little better pictures since I'm outside. Connector B is the black one, which I've unplugged here:

Zoom in and we see an unoccupied spot on the connector (pointing to it with a screwdriver):

That will connect to pin S if you put a wire in there. I still have to snag one at the junkyard, but per Taco's thread, all you have to do is put a stock wire in there and it'll be clean with no kludgy stuff going on.

Now, I think you can do this whole thing without removing the dash. I've already run the section of red harness that needs to be on the driver side. In removing the 4kq's ECU harness I just clipped the branch that heads off to the driver side (if you're **** you would of course not clip it and dismantle the car to get it out intact). Audi was nice and labeled the sheathing. Mine has a single white stripe. So I dug down between the pedals, found that bundle and pulled:

Then you just keep digging all the wires out, of course saving the blue/black wire that you can give to kostal pin #9 (there are two blue/black, so you'll likely have to use the multimeter again to find the one you want).

Again, your experience may vary. I think it's doable with the dash in though.

-Rog
Old 07-03-2012, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do you have a link/picture to your intercooler? 50$ isnt too bad. i dont remember seeing one, but ill go back in look through your thread again...
not to many cars around here in our JY's are turbo. and if they are, all the parts are gone.
im still new to boost... not sure how one "turns it up" rofl. ive had N/A cars all my 3yrs of driving.
Sure, this is my intercooler:

It's about 7" tall. The core is about 21" long (that's the "radiator" looking part). It seems to fit perfectly just under the bumper (the aluminum part, not the plastic cover). I have a picture saved of how it'll mount, but it's on a different computer, so I'll post it later.

As far as the boost, the easiest way to get more is probably a new wastegate spring/ECU chip, which is what I'm doing. If you ditch the CIS and go with a standalone fuel injection system you can put on bigger turbos and such.

-Rog
Old 07-03-2012, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sure, this is my intercooler:

It's about 7" tall. The core is about 21" long (that's the "radiator" looking part). It seems to fit perfectly just under the bumper (the aluminum part, not the plastic cover). I have a picture saved of how it'll mount, but it's on a different computer, so I'll post it later.

As far as the boost, the easiest way to get more is probably a new wastegate spring/ECU chip, which is what I'm doing. If you ditch the CIS and go with a standalone fuel injection system you can put on bigger turbos and such.

-Rog
Hmm. i just worry with something that shape, ill have to run super long tubes to the turbo and such... ill just await your picture i guess. haha.
you can chip the ECU in these things!? this is news to me... LOL! figured it was too old. i thought that ditching the CIS was the whole purpose of this swap? minus the fuel pump and what not. but the engine harness... i really need to get these cars in front of me so i can SEE what im doing... :P
im hoping this swap with provide more than 163hp that the 5kqt has? otherwise i dont see a point in a 50ish hp change...
Old 07-03-2012, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

50hp change? I'm pretty sure you'll get more than that. A stock 4k puts out about 115hp if your lucky. With the swap, you'll be pushing 200+hp. You can even get upwards of 215hp with a chip (yes, there are upgrade chips available for this, check out ben swann) and a stiffer wastegate spring. Remember, that power is going into a 4k. This amount of power will be a blast in the lighter and small body of the 4k.

Nothing wrong with a well-working CIS system. They are pretty dang reliable when they are dialed in.

Quick Reply: My 1985 4000 turbo quattro project