My 1985 4000 turbo quattro project

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get it done Rog!!!

When I first tried firing it up, I had switch the crank and rpm sensors thus giving me no spark.

You're almost there!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AngryTaco
Get it done Rog!!!

When I first tried firing it up, I had switch the crank and rpm sensors thus giving me no spark.

You're almost there!
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who didn't get an instant start on the first try...

I am positive that the harness stuff is hooked up correctly. I did figure out that long, long ago I had just installed the distributor without regard for timing, just to get it out of the trunk. And even though that would have caused it not to start, correcting it wasn't the magic pill.

It seems to have a fueling problem, although I am getting fuel at the distributor and wet injectors so it's not so bad as no pressure at all. The gas in the car is 3-4 years old, so there's that. But I did drain a fair amount when I installed the new fuel pump, plus put in a couple gallons of fresh. It almost wants to start. In fact it did for about two seconds. I'm hoping the injectors are just gummy or something.

I did have one more trip of the breaker today, so that confirms to me that 150A is barely enough, though I'm sure it would be okay for everyday use.

-Rog
Old 08-28-2013, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Little bit of an update... If it sits for several hours or overnight it'll idle for 10-20 seconds. Both times it did this I tried to give it a little throttle and it died immediately. However, the other day it started and I was able to rev it a couple times. Every time since it does not like throttle.

So I'm hoping it's just gunked up. I did crack all the injector lines at the distributor and all but two had fuel come out. So I shot some carb cleaner here and there, even taking the metering head off and freeing up the plunger. Now we're getting to more times when it'll fire for at least a couple seconds, and less time that I have to let it sit before it will start. Seems like maybe the sticky old fuel is slowly making its way out.

When it does run it builds good vacuum, spark is there on all cylinders, et cetera, so I'm pretty confident in it being fuel related. Hopefully most of you will be doing this in the space of a few days or a month and not years and you'll already be driving at this stage instead of flushing out glue.

-Rog
Old 08-28-2013, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hmm, okay, so I got one of the long idles out of it and decided to just let it go for awhile. Then I tried a little throttle and...

So we're getting there. Still sounds a bit like Sebulba's podracer though...

-Rog
Old 08-29-2013, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Since that video, I rearranged some vacuum lines and made sure they were all tight, and now it starts consistently. Slowly the old fuel seems to be clearing out. I also dumped in a bunch of Lucas oil, which claims to neutralize old gas, and that seems to be doing its job.

But it looks like I have some bleeding to do with the clutch, as it engages the instant the pedal comes up 1/4". And of course some extra heat shielding and various bits of bodywork...

-Rog
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Keep it up Rog! Looks like you're on the last push.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oookay, so I discovered that even though the ECU controls the timing (which means you can turn the distributor all you want while it's running and the timing will stay the same), if the distributor is off enough, it (the ECU I'm guessing) won't give spark or fuel when you try to start it.

So, if you're having problems along those lines, make sure your distributor timing is correct.

-Rog
Old 08-31-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The clutch is working well enough that I was able to get it turned around in the driveway. First time I've gotten to see it straight on from the front...

I'll probably have to get my pressure bleeding setup out to get the clutch working like it should. Fingers crossed that's all it is.

-Rog
Old 08-31-2013, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

glad to see/hear it run! wish I could come help out. you'll be driving it in no time now
Old 09-02-2013, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Shouldn't be too long. Of course I'm not looking forward to the $100 penalty when I get it registered, since it hasn't been on the road in four years...

Full steam ahead with my shaved spoiler and deleted taillight center section. All holes welded:

-Rog

Quick Reply: My 1985 4000 turbo quattro project