My drivers door wont open :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My drivers door wont open :)

This sucks it doesnt open from the inside or outside.. Guess tomorrow I will be fixing that problem. For today looks like I will be climing in and out. Good think I am only 5'11" and not 6"

Oh yeah anyone got an idea as to how I will be getting the door open? I have a few ideas I think?
Old 07-26-2005, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Line up a interior door panel first>>>

"Cause you might end up ripping that thing badly to get to the door rods/levers and works. I've never had this problem on a front door, perhaps someone else here has had a similar prob on a front door.

I'm not sure what year car you have, but this is what I did on my '84 REAR door was the following:

Remove the door panel. Be gentle if you want to save anything... remember that it's 20+years old. If you've prayed diligently to the AudiGod, you'll be able to get the thing off in sorta one piece..... but likely it'll come off in pieces with out being able to do it with the door open.

Remove the map pocketr first, then door handle, then the screw[s] holding the small piece at the mirror You'll need to reach inside the door to the lock where the door meets the frame. There's a small lever on the lock mech., hard to find as it's dark in there and you may be working blind as you likely will not be able to see it. Flip the lever in the direction that it will go in, and the door should unlock. on my rear door, the problem was that the lock couldn't unlock because one of the rods from the inside door lock had come apart from the lock, and this sounds like what has happened to you.

there's a snowball's chance in hell that you might be able to reconnect the rods, if that's what happened. don't hold your breath for that!

Hope this helps!
Old 07-26-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: My drivers door wont open :)

Whitjr's on the right track, it's gonna be tough but take it slowly. The door panels are fragile and a snug fit with the door closed.

I don't know whether you've considered calling a locksmith? Might be cheaper in the longrun than tearing up a doorpanel, at least if a 'smith could get the door open the panel would be easier to handle.

If you break the panel backing I'd suggest Gorilla Glue, maybe with some gauze or fabric reinforcement. The stuff isn't cheap but works great on wood-type stuff. Just follow the directions, it doesn't handle like regular glues. Good luck!

Dean
Old 07-26-2005, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Been there....

Just as Ray said: get the door panel off, find the lever, and eventually you will get it. Whatever the problem, once the door panel is off, the door is open, and you've removed the outside handle (may not be necessary), you'll be able to make things right again, although there are several plastic pieces connecting rods, etc. in the locking/opening mechanism, that get brittle with age. One may have cracked, stripped, or broken, and you'll need a replacement part.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Banned

Default Cant I open the rear door and try accessing allen bolts like that?

Either way the car inst in great shape if i break the door panel I wont be mad.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Make life easy

for yourself and slip the seat out of its runner before you try to remove the door panel