paint paint paint! can you paint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint paint paint! can you paint?

ok so as some of you may remember, in march of 06 my car was vandalized severely. (think street fighter bonus stage) well after some work i found doors and a hood and got all that fixed up all thats left is a trunk lid and 4 fenders. now the lid i have a source for and the fenders are scheduled to be pounded/mudded in july by a guy from a local vw groupe. only problem is that he doesnt do paint.

now most of the car is going to need sprayed along with the primed fenders. since the car is sapphire blue i hesitate trusting it to anyone. but it needs a respray to fix nicks and chips (some will buff) but i cant find anything under $1k. since im really not footing the bill here i could go with the 1k maaco job but that would mean waiting longer for the perpetrator to pay up (and having to deal with maaco).

so what im getting at is... does anyone know a painter that can do the job for 7-800? its mostly 4 fenders and touch up on the rest. maybe some re-blacking on the door uppers.

TIA!
Old 05-30-2007, 08:43 PM
No Bozos!

Default Nope

The guy I use the most charges almost $200 for a front valence so multiply it out and I'm sure it would be more than that.

Depending on the color that alone could run several hundred dollars for the material.

Then there's the "waste disposal fees. EPA cleanup and booth inspection. Paint jobs are getting expensive.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's a wacky idea, a roller. I came across a 100 + page thread on how to do it and....

it doean't look that bad. Cheap and decent results.<ul><li><a href="http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Number=2331682&amp;page=0&a mp;fpart=1&amp;vc=1">http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Number=2331682&amp;page=0&a mp;fpart=1&amp;vc=1</a</li></ul>
Old 05-31-2007, 03:10 AM

Default You have to pay to play

I can paint cars, but it's a PITA. Makes a total mess of the garage. For my race car, I'm seriously considering dumping it at Maaco for the $500 single stage special. I could paint it for about $350, and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle to save a few hundred.

To do factory color in 2 stage paint like the original, you WILL spend $1000. There's just no way around it.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You don't want to do that>>>

You won't be satisified no matter how careful and thorogh you are.

I tried it on my '84. Looked good for about 6 months. Then a bit less good, then a bit more less good... you get the idea. Waxing it is problematic after this sort of paint job.... it's just not smooth like you'd really like. Look in my picture poster on the yellow car.

I actually did it twice on the same car, about 18 months apart. Same results... looked good for about 6 months.

When I bring this car out of retirement, I'm going to get it painted in a shop; and I probally won't ever paint a car w/roller like that again.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wouldn't do it either but he wanted cheap paint ;-)

and thanks for posting your impression about this technique.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default See my post a little further down

I posted about this a week or so ago, see link below. Inspired by the Moparts thread, this month's Hot Rod has a cover story on the $98.00 paint job. That is complete with pictures and a critique. Their "opinion", far better than a Maaco paint job, and about 95% of a "good paint job".

The 100 page thread has been "locked", but there are successor threads on Moparts. There now seems to be a preference for "Brightside" over "Rustoleum". Brightside is a polyester based boat paint. Very high gloss and intended for brush or roller application. It doubles the cost fo paint from $26.00 to about $60.00.

While no one was watching, there has been a lot of progress in "self leveling" paint.

The secret to the whole thing is very, very thin coats. About 6 of them. Not bad, since it takes about an hour to put a coat on. Wet sanding evry second coat is recommended, to insure "flatness". That is where the shine comes from.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/4000/msgs/132652.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/4000/msgs/132652.phtml</a</li></ul>