Quattro I delivers!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quattro I delivers!

Sunday night I'm driving to East Lansing via the interstate when the weather goes totally crap. Heavy heavy freezing rain, but it's hard to judge the effect on the actual driving conditions, so everyone is still doing 70+. Both my locking diffs are locked, and I have new-this-season Hakk 2's. Suddenly about 3 cars ahead a Neon is slewing badly, looked like lift-throttle oversteer mebbe with some panic braking thrown in for fun. To miss him by 6" and not get creamed from the rear my own self I dove for the ditch. Off the side of the road, down a steep 12' high embankment, and into the narrow flat grassy spot that sits between the embankment and the trees. No traction problems once off road (no snow) so I just slowed to about 40, shifted to third, and drove back up the embankment and onto the shoulder where I accelerated up to traffic speed and pulled back in. Happened so fast, I didn't get freaked until later.

Quattro: Damn straight!
Old 02-15-2005, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Careful with having the rear diff locked. It can really throw off the directional stability.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Quattro I delivers!

You shouldn't drive with the rear diff locked. It's a low-speed emergency-only get out of jail card, not a high-speed roadway device. It adds undue stress to the drivetrain - hence why later Q systems have an auto-unlock feature above 15mph.

Carter
Old 02-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Lane Shark

Lol, awesome o\/\/nage on the other drivers
Old 02-15-2005, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 151 Likes on 135 Posts

Good to hear you're ok. :-) Nice story.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Agreed. I think it was designed for low speeds.

I know where porterdog is coming from. Quattro I kicks ***!
Old 02-15-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Bollocks- use the difflocks!

Real race cars use spools, which is exactly the same as a locked diff. In low grip conditions the tires slip where the touch the road which may be a little hard on your tires but that's what they're for.

I'll run fully locked in heavy rain; it's MORE stable than an open diff since there's no inconsistency in the power delivery.

The reason that Quattro I.5/II unlocked automatically is because most buyers didn't understand locked diffs and complained about how QI shuddered when going around corners.

Read this:

https://forums.audiworld.com/4000/msgs/16958.phtml

You are NOT going to break these parts.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Auto Unlock of rear diff = ABS

Another reason that the rear diff unlocked automatically over 15mph was so ABS can work.

Kind of hard to have independent braking channels if the brakes are trying to work through a locked diff!

On the other hand, if you do have the diffs all locked, it's going to be pretty hard to lock one wheel (Low budget ABS, as it were. Not optimized for maximum braking though!)
Old 02-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Lane Shark

Default yep, folks were to stupid to use q1 so they had to dumb it down for them

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/4000/msgs/16958.phtml">link for the lazy</a></li></ul>
Old 02-15-2005, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Where in my post does it say broken parts?

Drag cars use spools....not cars that have to go around corners.

I drove nearly 400 miles in a snow/sleet/freezing rain storm. Only needed the center diff locked. It was extremely stable changing lanes at 60-70, with about 7-8 inches of snow on the groud.
The inability of the rear tires to rotate independant from one another (locked rear diff) throws off the directional stability of the car.

Thats the main reason not to lock the rear diff unless you are going very slowly or stuck.
HTH

Quick Reply: Quattro I delivers!