QuickBoost: A R134a Addative That Works! + Problems & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default QuickBoost: A R134a Addative That Works! + Problems & Questions

First, let me HIGHLY recommend QuickBoost to anybody who has converted from R12 to R134a. This stuff actually worked for me just as claimed. My lowest vent temp before adding QuickBoost was 49*. I could hit this bottom end in just about any ambient temp given enough time. I added the little can of Quick boost on Saturday (read below, I may have messed up big on Saturday and need some questions answered). Anyway, now my lowest vent temps are 43-44 degrees. That might not seem like a huge change but it is well over the 10% improvement they claim. So, if you've got a converted system, get some QuickBoost! Now for the problems and questions:

My Coupe GT has been retrofitted to R134a by a local wrench. He told me the system might be "slightly overfilled, but not enough to be a problem." Well, I checked the low side pressures over the weekend it was well over 50lbs. That too high for my comfort. So I bled off some and rechecked. Well, now it was too low. Grab a can, tap it and throw it in. It sucked in in in seconds flat. Something must be wrong I thought. Look the now empty can more closely and IT'S A 11.5 OZ CAN OF R134A OIL!!! Eeek! So now my system has the original oil the mechanic put in (11 oz according to the sticker) + 11.5 ox that I added! My understanding is that the extra oil will just accumulate at the bottom of the condenser or evaporator. Can anybody confirm which? Or is it both? Will it cause harm (like do I need to
have the system evacuated and recharged)? Also, how do my pressures look? Too high? Too low?

around 45 static (engine & AC off)
36 at idle
lowest I saw was 25-26 at WOT

TIA!
Old 08-05-2002, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default i'm not going to say one way or the other. but you might check here

it would probably be wise to have someone recover the system and measure the amount of oil coming out. if you can get most of it out i'd think you'd be ok.
I know too much oil in a/c systems can cause problems.
you're still cooling fine though?
how much 134a is in your system?
do you have a pusher fan?
if so what size is it?

Thanks!

rich<ul><li><a href="http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard">http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard</a</li></ul>
Old 08-06-2002, 03:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Answers

Yes, I have a pusher fan. It's actually the readiator fan out of an early 1980s Honda Civic. Seems to work great. I wired it into the +12v for the AC clutch so that it comes on whenever the AC is on.

I sort of cooling fine. On the way into work it reaches proper temperatures(45-50*F), nice and cold, but on yesterday's trip home in 95*F with lots of sun it only dropped to 58*F and that took about 45 minytes, it dropped to about 65* very quickly but took for ever to come down further.

I'm not sure how much R134a is in the system, it was WAY overfilled by the idiot who did the conversion, so I bled some off, relized I had bled too much off, went to put some more back in, accidently added 11.5oz more oil, then added R134a until the low side pressures were what I considered to be right.

Will evacuation of my Coupe's AC system remove most/all of the oil in the system? If evacuation does not remove the oil, any suggestions on how to get it out?

Dave

Too Many Toys:
2002 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T Tiptronic
1993 RX-7 R1
1987.5 Audi Coupe GT "Special Build" 2.3 - Anthracite Black
1985 Chevy Impala Interceptor