Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks

Well,

I R&R'ed the front struts to put in "improved" strut bearings... trying to resolve my unwanted lane changes. Since the control arm bushings are new, I suspected the strut bushings/bearings.

However, I found out that my shocks, when stretched to their full length, will not rebound. Also, when I moved the shock piston in and out with my hand, I could get a good bit of movement before there was any resistance.

They are the older Koni adjustables, and were on the car when I bought it. Everything I know about shocks tells me they are blown. Does Koni have a lifetime warranty on their shocks?

The car feels a bit more connected to the road, but honestly I am too tired to test drive it anymore. One of the caps that holds the shock insert into the strut was very loose... hopefully the ride will be a little better.

IF YOU HAVEN'T TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF AUTOZONE'S FREE TOOL PROGRAM, YOU ARE MISSING OUT
Old 09-22-2002, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default upper strut bearing

Iv'e not had a bad upper strut bearing in my coupe, but I'm changing them when I change the struts as thy ar the original ones and i have everything apart.

Regarding the handling,Ive had bad ones in my fox wagon, exaclty the same layout ( I'd trash them every year after the second week of auto slalom and not replace them until the saftey was due), and I can honestly say i never noticed a difference in handling. But sure did notice a bad lower ball joint om the coupe when I had it!

I'd look at your shocks if all the other bushings and balljoints tie rods are correct.

let us know your final results
Old 09-23-2002, 06:21 AM

Default Koni Adjustables shocks do not rebound.

That's the way they work.

They might be shot, but I honestly doubt it.

Koni's have lifetime warranty, but you might need the receipt.

Call Koni if you like, they are real nice to deal with, but make sure to remind the tech guy about what you have and that they are suppose to not rebound.

Good Luck,

CS

CS