Slipping cambelt

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping cambelt

Has anyone on this board had any experience with slipping cambelts on the audi 10v engines? I've had my car for two years now, and the first thing i did was having the cambelt changed (at a garage).

Then maybe six months after that the car wouldn't start. After checking the timing marks i found out that the cam was about 170degrees out (late). Set the timing right, and started it up again (no bent valves, phew!).

Six months later it happened again, this time i took it to the garage that did the cambelt change, and they checked that everything was right with the waterpump and rollerwheel (don't know the english term, sorry), and that the tension on the belt was right.

Then it happened again. And again. I've tried tensioning the cambelt real tight (with lots of cambelt-squeal as a result).

It always happens on startup when the car has either been standing still for a week or more, or when there is a big temperature differential like shutting the engine down on a hot summer night and starting it up again on a cold morning. But it has happened both in winter and summer, so i'm not too sure that temeprature causes it either.

I have noisy lifters, but they quiet down within a couple of minutes after starting, so I guess that's normal behaviour?

I've also heard about a oil check valve thats supposed to keep some oil in the top of the engine when it is stationary, is this an item that is likely to fail?

I guess changing the valve and getting new lifters is somthing i should look into, but i'm confused here and any input would be appreciated.

Just had to redo the timing _again_ this wekend.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Slipping cambelt

I was going to say adjust the timing belt tension via the water pump, but looks like you already did that. I know there are 2 types of timing belts (teeth are different lengths apart). I'd say make sure it matches the cam gear/water pump/crank pulley perfectly if not that could be your problem. You might need to replace your pulley's if they show any wear. If one of those are messed up, it would cause it. Have you replaced your idler pulley (idle roller) or any other pulleys. Idler pulley can sieze causing timing to slip. HTH
Old 05-21-2006, 03:08 PM

Water pump and idle roller was replaced along with cambelt 2 years ago.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ugh, yea I really don't know what to tell you. Hopefully someone else can help you.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've had one jump because of ice\snow getting under the belt. I left the cover off last winter.

But it was only off by a couple of teeth.