The story of my Carlisle Weekend; not good. :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The story of my Carlisle Weekend; not good. :(

Thought y'all might get a kick out of hearing this. I had SO much going agaisnt me, it's luck I even showed up at all. And I'm not even going to look for typos in the post, deal with it.

Thursday
Plan: Recharge AC, oil change, wash, wax and detailing.
Reality: Recharge of AC took forever, car was far dirtier than planned and I discovered my headlights were dead. Discovered that my relayed harness had drooped and got caught in the belts...RIP! So all that got done was The AC recharge, headlights, and detailing the engine, no interior or body detailing done.

Friday
The Plan: Leave house by 8:00AM and meet up with a friend at 1:00 and be at the show grounds by 2:00. Hang out until early evening then go out to dinner.
Reality: Friend isnt going to make it Friday, but plans on joinging me Saturday. Spend majority of the day detailing the car and don't leave until 3:00PM and have 2 errands to run. Get caught in rush hour traffic and the car is running like CR@P! Get to hotel at 10:00PM

Saturday
Plan: Friend and I spend all day and into the night at the show having a blast and consuming plenty of :beer:
Reality: Up at 8:00. Friend has a toothache and wants to wait a while see how it feels. She will let me know by 11oAM. At 11:30 still in pain, says go to the show and she will let me know by 2:00. At 3:00 she lets me know the pain is getting worse but she really wants to come. Ended up spending most of the afternoon talking to her via text messaging, her tooth hurt too much to really talk. And I was REALLY looking forward to being with her for the show. Spent part of the day troublehooting the poor running car...everything seems dry and good. Car still running terrible all day no matter what I try.

But had a blast talking with everyone an lookin' at the best looking group of cars at the show. Ended up staying at the showfield until midnight, kickin' with my homies drinking some :beer: .

Sunday
Plan: Get up and go back to the showfield to hang until around 2:00PM then drive home.
Reality: Got up and was ready to go by 8:30. Car healed itself! Running PERFECT! Don't want to risk turning it off, decide to hit the road. Runs great all the way...until I was about 135 miles from home when I hear a BANG and a whole lot of noise up front. Pull over and pop the hood. Whole engine compartment is covered in CV Axel grease! Look down to discover that the drivers side axel has come completely undone from the tranie flanges!!! All bolts!!!! :banghead: :banghead: And when it happened to let go I was going around 75MPH so it really flopped around and flung grease everywhere and also ripped the speedo sensor out of the tranie! And with an open dif...I'm not going anywhere. And of course this is the cv axel that the shop had off the car to try to find new ones for me...they didnt properly tighten them!!!

Fortunately, none of the bolts were missing, so I decided to try to reconnect it myself and limp on home. Check the trunk for my tools...nope, none of the allen keys I have fit the head of the cv bolts. :banghead: Gonna have to get them as tight as possible using a pair of pliers. Jack up that side and start working on reconnecting the axel, hoping the damage is not too bad. Not willing to go under a car that's just on a jack, I have to reach down through then engine compartment and try to do it from above and everything in the engine compartment is VERY HOT! Burns all over, every knuckle bloodied and covered in grease...but close to 2 hours after the blowout...its done and I'm back on the road. With a lift and proper tools, should have been a 10-15 minute repair. :banghead:

So, back on the road, but couldn't get one of the bolts to thread properly
and the others aren't very tight. Try gripping a grease covered round object with pliers and apply lots for force...doesnt work well. So, I babied her the rest of the way...slow acceleration, slow deceleration, totally babied...I don't think I went faster than 45 mph, but no clue since speedo sensor was ripped out. I stopped every 20-30 minutes to check the bolts, they never re-loosened...wonder just how loose they were in order for them to come out? Made it home at about 6:00PM.

Today I took it back to the shop at 8:30 AM and told them of my experience. I made sure that I didn't try to hide what happened when there were other customers around and I was talking to the manager. They were nice but it was obvious they really just wanted me to leave and never bring my car back there again. I told them I needed them to disconnect the axel and repack with grease then properly connect it. And that they also needed to fix or replace my speedo sender. They throw it on the lift. 10 minutes later they are finishing tightening up the bolts, but I havent seen the grease packing gun anywhere. :banghead: I tell them again that I expect more than just a quick tightening. They need to undo it, repack with grease and then properly reconnect it...and fix my speedo! I stand around watching to make sure they do as told this time. Once the axel had been repacked and reattached they started to work on the speedo sensor. By then I was WAY late to work, so I told them to call me when it was done and I walked to work (only a few blocks). Well at 2:00 they called...its one. I picked it up and the speedo seems fine. They said it actually didnt hurt or damage the sensor...it just popped loose and all they had to do was align the contacts and plug it back in. Finally one piece of good news...

So, that's the end of the horrid story of Dave and Carlisle 2006.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Life can really suk sometimes. At least you had a whole group of beer at one point....
Old 05-22-2006, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

cliff notes?
Old 05-22-2006, 03:24 PM
No Bozos!

Default My $0.02

Firstly before anything else, than you Morgan for all your hard work putting together a great time!

Carlisle was fun, not as big as I had expected though. The vendor area was for the most part all British parts with a few other bits. I did pick up a nice 1/43 model of a Lancia Stratos, one of my other favorite cars. I also picked up some literature on the DB Sports Coupe, a car I hope to pick up within the next few months.

Meeting everyone from here was great! I met a lot of great folks. Some from right around the corner. What a coincidence!

Sleeping wasn't the best of times. It was pretty noisy at the Farigrounds, and the sun had a nasty habit of coming up at like 5am. I tried to stay in bed as long as I could, but it was still only like 6am when we ended up rolling out of bed.

The ride home was lousy, I was so tired that we had to keep stopping because my eyes wouldn't stay open.

We stopped to grab some lunch around Shamokin Dam, and I felt better when we got back on the road. However not too long after that a deer ran onto the highway. I jumped on the brakes, but couldn't avoid hitting it. It didn't look like too much damage, but the estimate I got today ended up being $1794.00. It turns out that when you hit a deer it isn't an accident, it's covered by comprehensive. So at least I only have to shell out $50 for the deductible as opposed to $250.

I'm not too bummed, it was a nice weekend with some great folks, and some equally nice cars. All in all I had a good time.

Looking forward to next year!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Holy doggy doo Batman!!!!! I thought my Vegas trip was bad!!!!

I discoverd a leaky boot on my 1 month old axle, I cleaned it up and tried to tighten the "strap", I found out at about midnight in the middle of the desert at around 90mph that I had no brakes on the right side, grease had gotten all over the disc, I had to brake really hard to avoid slow traffic, I almost flew off into the destert my car pulled so violently to the left!!!!
I had to pull the caliper and pads the next morning at the track and clean the grease from the disc and the inside of my 1 week old wheels!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thurs sucked, friday sucked, sat was semi decent, sun sucked REALLY bad.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Damn dude. 4 days of bad luck in a row. Next year will be better!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hit a deer on the way home? Crap!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You look like Darth Vader in that helmet, DDG!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I made a meager attempt to find you - being a fellow NY'er

A few times I asked - "hey - where is squid9??" Ok - I was off a bit on your name - but most people looked at me like I was crasy when I asked that.

Quick Reply: The story of my Carlisle Weekend; not good. :(