Time to stop lurking (87.5 Coupe GT)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to stop lurking (87.5 Coupe GT)

My participation on various Audi forums over the years has been sporadic, to say the least. Two moves, selling a startup company, wife getting a degree...you get it. But life has calmed down a little and the bug has been biting me again. I've been spending more time appreciating, driving, and addressing minor issues with my little 1987.5 Coupe GT.

I just thought I'd introduce the Coupe: I'm the 2nd owner. 59,5xx miles and essentially dealer original with the exception of ATE discs, a custom exhaust (which I hate--I'm trying to source OEM now), and period-correct 15" R8's I was able to get from Germany.

As always there are little bits I'm looking for (and I'll use this opportunity to rant at Audi Traditions for locking North America out of the program--what are they thinking??)

This is an amazingly active forum for models that were last sold in the US in 1987 and it's helped me a lot over the years. I hope I can contribute here and help others too.

Anyway...hi guys.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello jomon,

welcome to the B2 world. You ride looks very nice, Post more pictures.

Ciao
Werner
Old 03-11-2020, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

These were taken with my Android potato phone, sorry for poor quality.

Old 03-15-2020, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Congratulations on the car. Looks super-tidy. Love the white.

I’m actually going to look at one this morning. If it works out, perhaps I might be interested in your exhaust. Do you not like it because it’s too loud?
Old 03-16-2020, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The exhaust is actually not too loud--it sounds really good, as a matter of fact. But I'd like to go back to stock for a couple reasons: more back pressure (I feel like I lost a little low end torque) and I'm trying to return the car to original (and by original, I mean I want factory parts wherever possible).

How was the Coupe? Nice I hope.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Jonmon,
Nice ride.
Well I am not on the forum a lot as you can see, I too have 1986 Coupe GT. I have just finished early February after the car sat on jack stands for a year waiting on " Lowered Bilstein's shocks " which I am still waiting for, my family convinced me to put the car back together an enjoy it until they arrive. Let it be known I am a firm believer in OEM or OEM supplier parts, especially " Bushings ", my philosophy is if it lasted 30 years I don't want the cheap stuff. I will pay a little extra for OEM
Removed the entire sub-frame, had it along with both struts' lower control arms, brake disc shields sand blasted and powder coated " Black ".
Anyway I completely replace every bushing within the front suspension.
Had the front axles completely rebuilt OEM boot's, cost a bit more even though I supplied the bushings.
All new wheel bearings, front & back; tie rods, steering end links. Other task in progress.
This is my second Coupe GT, when I was stationed in England in the early 80's I wanted one (1984) when I went to order the car the waiting list was full, I had to wait for someone to come off the list to get their slot. Right around then there was rumors that Audi was making changes to the car but no one at the time knew what the car looked like, I didn't care just wanted one (U.S Spec.'s). I was on the waiting list for over a year, before I got to go over to Frankfurt, Germany to a dealer in there to pick it up(1985 Euro Spec.'s). Took it back to England (R.A.F. Lakenheath) for a few months, them had to ship it back to Europe to AUDI to have the U.S Spec.'s complleted ( was required in the initial documentation Military personnel signed when purchasing brand new Audi U.S. spec's. at the time if the car was going to be registered and driven before going state side)
Anyway had the car for 14 years got stupid and sold the car to a neighbor down the street. Within 22 days he totalled the car completely. I had regretted it for quite a while, found my current GT same color as my original Silver. Have 18 months that's including 1 year on jack stands.
I am in the process of trying to convert mine to " rear disc brakes " .My biggest issue is I am debating putting bigger brakes all around which I will be forced to go to minimum 15" wheels an will have to change the front struts.
I really want to keep the car as stock as possible.
It doesn't feel as fast as it was back in it's day, but I enjoy driving it on weekends; nothing sounds like a 5 Cylinder. As I say to my son all car guy's had a special car got stupid and sold them, this one is not for sale at any price.

Stay safe, and enjoy your car.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Question. I have a 1987.5 Special Edition, as well. Starting to work on it. Dash possible needs replacing (was acting up before sat for years). What is a good part place to get OEMs, etc? 1st is dash.

Located in Nashville, TN

Thank you
Old 09-17-2020, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Jonmon: that's a beauty. I'm glad to see guys keeping them stock. That's my preference as well, although I do appreciate some tasteful mods here and there. My 87.5 is similar, alpine white but with a quartz cloth interior and about 257k miles.

Oldtimer, that's a cool story, I can understand why you are bummed that your first one got away! Are you on QW by the same handle by chance?
Old 09-19-2020, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sleeper8
Jonmon: that's a beauty. I'm glad to see guys keeping them stock. That's my preference as well, although I do appreciate some tasteful mods here and there. My 87.5 is similar, alpine white but with a quartz cloth interior and about 257k miles.

Oldtimer, that's a cool story, I can understand why you are bummed that your first one got away! Are you on QW by the same handle by chance?
Hi Guys, I don't know what is a QW, sorry.
I am very anoid that I still don't have my set of Lowered Bilstein Sports I ordered over a year & 8 months from ECS, the Caronia virus didn't help any either. If they are not here by end December I will have to go through Germany to get them. I will try to attach some photo's of my car hope it works, it's Silver Grey.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oldtimer1990
Hi Guys, I don't know what is a QW, sorry.
Sorry for the shorthand.

QW is QuattroWorld (dot com). It's a similar forum except uses the KAWF format. I used the abbreviation because at one time you could be suspended from here for mentioning QuattroWorld. Long story short is that a little over a decade ago there was a mass exodus from Audiworld to QW because the owners changed the forum format from KAWF to VBulletin against the wishes of the vast majority of the users (including yours truly). AW traffic was strong at the time but slowed to a trickle for a long time after that. Funny/sad thing is now I think QW has fizzled almost to the same point. I have returned here because the D4 board is way stronger here. Hope I don't get suspended for the history lesson, lol, but now you know what a QW is.

Quick Reply: Time to stop lurking (87.5 Coupe GT)