Transmission Options for my 4kq (Repair or Swap?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Options for my 4kq (Repair or Swap?)

Hey y'all,
I thought I would start a new thread about this because it's fairly specific. I finally got the transmission out of the car and totally disassembled, it was tough but doable. I've discovered why third gear wouldn't shift. The synchronizer is shot to pieces:

You can see where there are whole pieces missing out of it. Apparently, the pieces got sucked up into third gear, because it created quite a waterfall effect with the gears:

Basically, I'm amazed this thing hasn't blown up yet. No wonder third didn't want to engage.

This leaves me with quite the problem. As you all probably know, finding parts for this car is a nightmare. I haven't been able to find a single parts supplier for this transmission yet. I've played around with finding a used transmision, but I can't find one, not on craigslist, not from junkyard searches. Only front wheel drive trans from Coupe GT's can be found. My transmission codes look like this:

So my transmission has the following code:
016 301 211 F
which makes sense, right? It's an 016 transmission, like it should be, I think. My searches on junkyard websites has led me to find a few that are:
013 301 211 C
Which I think is the front wheel drive version, right? I got them to send a picture and it doesn't look anything like my 016. I did find one transmission that looked EXACTLY like mine, but it was a front wheel drive one (I.E. it didnt have the rear output or the differential on the back of it).

So I've reached the following list as far as my options to get the 4000 back on the road again:

1. Find a replacement 016 301 211 F transmission (Or a suitable substitute, which I have no idea about)
2. Find a parts supplier and order new parts (Which I cannot find, at least not in the US)
3. Find out if I can substitute internal parts from a FWD into my 016 (Does that work?)

Basically, what can I do here? Can I find a replacement 016? Can I find a parts supplier to get new gears and syncros? Can I find a FWD transmission and gut it to make my quattro work?

I need help y'all, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm willing to fork out some money if I need to, I just want to get her moving again.
Cheers, Erik
Old 12-29-2018, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would say your best option would be to salvage parts from a FWD 016 tranny and rebuild it. Most manufacturers, to save cost, will use the same transmission guts between the FWD and AWD/4x4 versions. The only difference is usually in the extension housing at the back of the transmission. The output shaft is probably a different length or configuration, but the actual drive gears and shafts should be the same. I can’t say for sure that Audi did that, but it would make sense from a manufacturing standpoint. Borg Warner did that between older Chevys and Fords. The internals were often the same, but the input and output shafts were different to accommodate the different engines and driveline setups. The best case scenario would be to find your exact tranny and just swap it.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Erik,

You got mail.

Ciao

Werner
Old 01-02-2019, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey guys,
so I've found a solution to the problem! An Audi 200 also has an 016 transmission inside, and can be used in the 4000 quattro. Some things are slightly different, but overall it can work. I picked one up at a junkyard the other day and I'm getting it ready to go back into the car now! I made this video to help with any confusion about the transmission, it was a learning experience getting everything apart and ready to go.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey guys, I just wanted to clarify something:
If you do what I did and use a 200 Gear Assembly in the 4000 bell housing and center differential, you're going to want to swap over the input shaft. The 200 and 4000 have different sized bolt holes in the end of the input shaft, and they don't mate well with the other. Also, keep the same differential with the same output shaft for the front wheels, because apparently the gear ratio is slightly different. So the pinion out of a 4000 won't mesh with the differential out of a 200. I learned that the hard way and had to take mine back apart to get it all together. I'm going to a machine shop tomorrow to have an adapter made that will allow me to use my 4000 center diff with the 200 input shaft. I'll keep you posted. Cheers
Old 01-04-2019, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey guys, I had my adapter made. It slides inside the end of the 200 input shaft so that it can accept the 4000 bolt. If anyone does this and needs specifics let me know. Cheers