Two part... (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two part... (long)

First It seems my clutch will need replacement soon, It doesn't engage until the pedal is all the way out. Its not slipping yet but any day now it may. I read through some of the posts and some of them mention some adjustment at the pedal. Is there enough adjustment to make a difference or is it basically worthless?

Second ..water pump.. (IS The 5cyl a collision engine? If the timing belt were to break would it destroy the valves?)

Here is what I found, when I took the cover off of the pump I found the guide that is supposed to be part of the water pump pully, had fallen off the back of the puly and was rubbing on the belt making a screeching noise. Since there was no fixing it without replacement and it was not doing any good I cut the guide off and it took care of my noisy pump. It doesnt seem to bother anything, I would say the guide has been broken for approximately 1500 Mi.
I decided to wait on the radiator (probably regret it) It still runs cool and doesn't leak but when I took the airconditioning condenser off (for repair or replacement) I found the cooling fins in the radiator are completely rotton. Some of them even blew out on my way home from my old mans shop. If I knew how I would post a picture of it. its unbelievable.
I haven't decided whether or not I want to fix the car up yet.. It seems to need alot of work and I am not sure its worth it. Thats why I keep doing half assed patch jobs.. and am looking at aftermarket replacement parts..just to keep it on the road. It still need a radiator, I think some fuel injection work, some body work , ac work and interior work (drivers seats)
Its pretty obvious to me the car was never maintained properly, except for regular oilchanges. It needs alot for only 102,000 Mi
Old 06-12-2002, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Two part... (long)

No, the coupe isn't an interference engine. I believe only the turbo'd engines are interference.