Unexpected parts scores

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unexpected parts scores

Over the past weekend, a friend and I ventured out to Pittsburgh to pick up some parts, namely a head and a set of B4 90 wheels. While there, I was quite surprised to see that Gary (the guy selling the parts) had a set of stock headlight covers from a company called Wade. They are clear and cover the the headlight lense and corner light. I had never seen these before, or even known of their existence so I quickly claimed them. As soon as I find a harness for the h4's, the covers will be put to use protecting the lights. We also ended up coming home with a 2.3 motor, haynes manual and a set of 100 wheels in addition to the parts we came for. I'd like to thank Gary for the deals and I have to say that he has one of the coolest audi's I've had the pleasure of seeing. The trip home was caped off with a visit to Sewickly Audi/Porsche and drooling over a RS6 avant, multiple S4's and a load of newer audis. Needless to say it was a good weekend. So anyone here ever have any interesting or unplanned parts scores?
Old 02-14-2005, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Too many to mention! (longish)

Wow, where do I begin. I think I'll start with the most awesome find, which was a little over a year ago in South Bend, while visiting Repeater.
He told us of a yard that he could "hook us up" at with parts. They had maybe 5-6 Audi's there, 2 of which were 4kq's. There was a late 70's 5000 there, VERY cool car, and complete!
I got my quattro script seats from a red 4kq, and then discovered a Zermatt Silver 4kq under a ton of branches. Getting into the car was a battle, I had to weasle my small frame inside the rear door, all while getting smacked in the face with tree branches. You dont know what its like to get inside a car where almost everything is mint, its like discovering gold. I was in the car and said "holy ****, all of this is useable." I had pictures posted of the carnage a year ago. The entire interior was stripped for parts (minus the rear seat and drivers seat). All door panels (which are on my 4kq now), instrument cluster, fog light switch, all switches, ****, boot, radio, passenger seat, steering wheel, anything else I could grab, was mine. I REALLY regret checking to see if it had the factory fog lights, which I think it did. I did take all badges too, cant forget those. I made out like a bandit (full interior plus a passenger seat, plus all the parts from that Zermatt 4kq came out to be 125 bucks.)
Another find would have to be my B3 aux gauges. There was a 90 at a local yard that had been sitting for a while, and I had picked through the engine bay once. I never thought to see if it had the aux gauges, but it indeed did. I got too excited and started tearing stuff apart, and realized I would have to get a socket to get some **** apart. I had called cuatrokoop to verify this. So, I had to go home (20 min drive) and get a socket, then drive back. I ended up getting a 4k gauge pod, B3 aux gauges, 2 reflectors, and misc sunroof parts for 10 bucks or so.
Yet another fun story is the very first time I got to part out a 4k. There was a Zermatt Silver 4k parked at Discount Tire, and I had seen it one night with its flashers on, just sitting. I went the next day to ask whose 4k it was, and the guy working there said it was his, but he was rear ended and was gonna scrap it. I asked him very nicely if I could have the trunk shocks, but he said take anything you could carry. So, my father and I came back with tools and stripped her down. I took the headlights, plug wires, cap, interior things, and I forget what else, it was a long time ago. The guy was super cool, he then got a B3 90, but I havnt seen him for a while.
Another story involves the rod that goes from the door latch to door handle. I had a different door handle and I bent the rod to try and make it work, no luck, and I broke the rod. So, I went to a different yard, and there was a red 4k there (5spd, heated seats), and I attempted to take the door latch off, but stripped the allen bolts. I told the guy at the desk and he sent out a guy in a van and he torched part of the door off and gave me the rod at no charge! I also stole the reflectors from that car.
One last one that I can remember, this one pains me. I was visiting Steve Ankney in Michigan and we went to a local yard. I had never been to a junkyard where there were sliding glass doors and people wearing polo shirts working there. Anyhow, there was a mint 4k there, perfect interior, etc. As we were leaving I spotted a white 4kq. It was waiting to be "checked in" (have its fluids drained, then nicely put into the yard). The worst part was, is that it was a Commemorative Edition! It looked damn clean too, I never got up there after that to pick it apart.
Shiet

Mike
Old 02-14-2005, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wish that could happen to me!

Most of the people around where I live
don't know what an Audi is.
Sad, isn't it?