update on my cylinder head removal project and a question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 03:39 PM
Ulf
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update on my cylinder head removal project and a question...

so far so good - I've got the timing belt off, cam is removed, the valve lifters are out. All that didn't take very long, as I've done most of it before. Now comes my next question: How do I disconnect the exhaust manifold from the down pipe?? No matter from which angle I look at it there seems to be something in the way - either a tie rod, the air filter box, the intake manifold, etc... Is there a trick to getting to these bolts (mind you the engine's in the car)?? Any help would be greatly appreciated here! Also, do I have to pull the fuel injectors out? And if so, do I need a special tool?

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2003, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: update on my cylinder head removal project and a question...

I took the downpipe off my 4kq about a month ago, it was pretty easy, I thought. I had to get under the car and use some wacky extentions to get to all the bolts. More than all of them were also accessable from the passenger wheel well.
It takes patience, but they are actually pretty easy to get off, and back on.
I did have the starter removed, but it was in when I put the downpipe back on.

Mike
Old 11-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Ulf
AudiWorld Member

Default ahhh! the starter.. I should take that thing off...

I wonder if dropping the subframe would help, too. I have to drop that anyway, because I've got to take the oil pan off to clean out all the gunk... oil and water make a nice mess..

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to get under the car tomorrow and see what damage I can do
Old 11-23-2003, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ditto on audisports advice

thats exactly how i did it. there are 5 nuts, all almost easily accessible while either sitting in the wheelwell or from under the car. youll need a few extensions though and i needed deep sockets to get to the nuts over the extra thread. you might wanna spray some penetrating oil on there first too.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:19 PM

Default I also did mine from underneath...

My coupe only had 3 bolts holding the downlpipe to the exhaust line!

The injectors dont require a special tool, I did mine using vise grips and a prybar.
You put the visegrip on the end of the injector, and then pry against the cylinder head to pull them out. Use penetrating oil!
Old 11-23-2003, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pan

When I saw my car with the trans out, I noticed that 2 of the bolts that hold the oil pan on are only accessable when the trans is dropped, or at least moved back a bit. When the tech showed me, it all made sense, because it never did before. Subframe also has to be dropped.
Just wanting to make sure that this makes sense, anybody disagree, or am I wrong?

Mike
Old 11-24-2003, 10:12 AM

Default Oil pan...no problem...

I'm in the midst of doing this same job myself. I just put the oil pan back on yesterday. It is a simple job, once you lower the front subframe. There is a support that bolts the engine to the trans, remove that (4 bolts to the block, and 4 bolts to the trans) and all the pan bolts are quite easily accessible. No need to have the unhook the transmission or anything like that.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Ulf
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: thanks for all the advice! I'll let you all know how I fare...

..when I'm done. I'm at work right now and can't wait to get home to start working on the car again. Funny how that happens, but it's sort of addicting. The oil pan shouldn't be a problem - I removed that on my '86 a few months ago. Back then I had some trouble reaching some of the little bolts, but now I've got a whole bunch of additional extensions / u-joints for my socket wrench that should help!