Vac leaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vac leaks

Have some questions here regarding this.
I went to leave for a friends house on Saturday night. I went to South Bend in the morning, came back, car ran great. Hop in the car Saturday night, no start. This never happens, but I figured it was something silly. Popped the hood and noticed the crank case breather hose that goes to the side of the igloo was slit almost all the way around! So, since there was alot of slack I cut the hose and just moved it forward and sinched it down with the clamp. Car ran fine.
Last night, same deal, was leaving a friends house, no start. Popped the hood and checked that hose, its fine, and I checked the elbow that I made that goes from the valve cover hose to the igloo hose, that seemed fine. I eventually got the car running and home fine.
I figured I would have to borrow a car today since mine wouldnt start, but it did start and ran great. So, Im hoping I can get through the week trouble free so I can take a look at things over the weekend.

This brings a question. My friend got a Quantum wagon a month ago. It started perfect, NO issues, but had a huge vac leak at the hose from the side of the intake manifold to the valve cover (has like 3-4 different holes, you guys know this hose). You could hear the leak, it was pretty loud.
Why was the car able to start time after time, even with this large leak? Never had any issues, except for a higher than normal idle, and that hissing noise.

Just curious.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your leak vs his leak..

Here's my theory:

Your leak was an actual 'wide open' hole to the intake, so when crankin, would not lift the flap.

His leak probably was closed when cranking (so the flap lifted), but his leak would open at high intake vacuum (like when that weird hose near the ISV cracks). Not mcuh vacuum when cranking, so hose 'ok' then..
Old 10-01-2007, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As usual, you make sense :)

Im hoping the 4ktq makes it throught the week starting as it should. Im gonna go ahead and RR the michelin man hose and intercooler hoses and sinch them up. One I know is rubbing against one of the turbo oil lines. That happened after I tossed the motor back in. May have to find another hose.

But, Im surprised that hose at the igloo went bad like that, it was a huge tear!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I hear your pain Mike

I went to my folks place where the Coupe has been parked since I moved. (No more garage to work on the car) I figured I have to put some gas in it to get it going. I go out buy some gas and try to fire it up. Well the car will start and rev to 4k on start up then stall out. I dont even have time to give it gas and try to keep it running. My dad says its a vacumn leak. So I am going to buy some of the little hoses that go under the intake line I got from you and go through it all.

Anyone have any other ideas on why it would rev to 4k and then die out?

Mike K.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm

Does it rev by itself, or do you rev it? If it revs on its own, Id check the ISV, BTDT with my 4ktq when I had the ISV.
If its you doing the revving, Im unsure. I would check all vac hoses/connections anyways, as well as the airboot.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My car does the same thing....

Starts right up, doesn't rev as high though. When it settles down to idle it stumbles and will stall if I don't keep giving it gas. After about 30 seconds of revving the car idles fine.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No mine revs on its own

I dont get a chance to touch the gas before it dies.

I got some vacumn line. I will try to replace some of it on the weekend.

I will check the boot and the intake line as well to be sure. I want to get this car running smoothly again, with a good idle.

Mike K
Old 10-01-2007, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Agree with Frank, under full throttle you can see that multi port hose collapse

insert a spring on the inside and it will never happen again
Old 10-02-2007, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Additionally, turbo engines are much more sensitive to leaks than NA, btdt.