wierd brake prob

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wierd brake prob

I recently replaced the rear cyl's in my 1.8, and on the right side I can't get any fluid out when bleeding. THe left is fine, but when I bled the right, the pedal didn't depress, and no fluid came out. Seeing as though the rears don't do much I left it as is. But It got me thinking that I have a blocked line or something....any suggestions?
Old 12-27-2003, 11:52 AM

Swelled/collapsed brake hose. Replace 'em.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:49 PM

no hose though...all very good condition solid lines
Old 12-27-2003, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Proportioning valve?

Trace the brake line from the wheel cylinder back to the proportioning valve (brake pressure regulator) and loosen the line fitting there just enough to see if you get leakage. If you do get leakage at that fitting, then the line is blocked. If you don't, then your problem may lay within the proportioning valve or within the master cylinder.

On most cars each of the two line circits within the master cylinder controls two wheels - one rear and one front on the opposite side of the car. For example, the right rear and left front.

The brake pressure regulator (proportioning valve) does the same thing. So you will have bleed both wheels from whatever circit you loosen the fitting on.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default In which order did you bleed the brakes??

The right rear is supposed to be bled first, then the left rear, right front then the left front. It's the farthest away from the master cylinder. If you did that one after the other 3, there may not be enough pedal travel to push the fluid all the way to it. You can try using a Mighty-Vac to suck the fluid out from the wheel cylinder bleeder nipple.
Just a thought.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Did you check to see that the bleeder wasn't clogged?

Happens alot, especially when the cap isn't put back on. Take it out and see if you can blow through it. If not use compressed air and/or a pick or paperclip or something to get the crap out of it. With the bleeder removed it should definately start dripping out...
Old 12-28-2003, 10:24 AM

Default Here's what I checked...

The bleeder for cloggage, the actual line going in, and for a kink in the line. All three seemed to check out, although the line wasn't dripping like it should have been. My initial thought was the proportioning valve wasn't allowing the fluid through, although I must admit I'm a little sketchy on how it exactly works. I figured i'd drive it for a few days and try again. The pedal feels fine though. I have also thought that I may have recieved a NFG cylinder, but I think that's unlikely seeing as they're ATE's.