Would you complain or just let it go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you complain or just let it go?

As you know my CGT was in the body shop for a full body restoration while I was on vacation. I got her back last night. She looks INCREDIBLE, but I did notice a couple of problems:

1. There are a few flaws in the black paint, a few fish eyes/poc marks. They are very small and unless you are looking specifically for them, you'd never see them.

2. They put back on my Audi & GT emblems when I had given them WRITTEN instructions saying to leave them off. not only that, but they are in the wrong place. The Audi is in the right spot, but the GT emblem is now over on the right side where the quattro emblem would be on a 4Kq. I don't think it looks bad, but I wanted to go for the rings only look on the rear.

Other than that, she looks like a new car from the outside. The paint is deep and glossy. I think I got a great deal on the work. $1,550 total out the door and they fixed 2 BIG dents that were in places that would make them hard to fix (one was on the sail panel and the other was the extreme right rear corner, the corner was totally pushed in)and at least a dozen door ding dents, many deep scratches, a few rusty paint chips along the front edge of the hood, a full respray in the original black, refinished the bumpers/mirrors/body molding in a nice satin black. The work looks to be of very good quality except for the few fish eyes.

So would you complain or ask them to correct any of the above problems/ The shop owner did mention that if I hadn't been a repeat customer he would have called me back and said that the estimate for $1,550 was WAY off and would have asked for more body labor time. One other shop I checked told me I needed at least $2,500 in work...
Old 12-06-2002, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'd have the badge thing sorted out . . .

. . . but I'd likely live with the minor, almost invisible flaws.

It sems you got a deal on the work, and there's no use antagonising the shop, but if the paint's any good, they should be able to remove or move the badges with no damage to the new finish.

And if removing the badges does harm, they're the ones who could put it right.

The minor blemishes might put you at ease prior to the discovery of the first post-paint job parking lot ding . . .
Old 12-06-2002, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Would you complain or just let it go?

It sounds like overall they did some good/great work for you.

Do you think that the shop is BS'ing you about the higher estimate, in order to "get away with" doing the things you have a problem with?

I've run into shops like that before!
Old 12-06-2002, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default those badges

should come off reeeal easy if you take a hair dryer to em and pull gently. the paint underneath is fresh and glossy and they havent really had time to dig in. ive debadged some new cars as soon as they came off the lot and you cant even tell the badges were ever there.