1990 Audi 100 - to much oil pressure???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Audi 100 - to much oil pressure???

car was working fine (after cylinder-head job) but oil was recently leaking from the oil filler top. I replaced the top but this did not make a difference.
Today going up a mountain the car lost power, rattle in the head sounded like a valve tick - got hot - and throw the oil out of the back-bend of the motor (towards transmission - to much oil to really tell exact location) and the oil filler cap again (steady flow). It felt like there was to much pressure in the engine. Does the crankcase breather hose usually expand a lot when reving up?
The car did not want to start again, I got a tow home and removed spark plug #1 and the oil is sitting on the piston....
Car starts with plug #1 removed.

Any advise?? Thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sounds like overfill and/or plugged galleys to me.

What did your oil pressure read? Oil temp? Water temp?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Combbustion gasses getting to crankcase, crankcase getting to combustion area...

either a hole in the piston, broken rings, maybe in the no. 1 cyl. Advice: Do a compression check. You are getting a whole bunch of blowby through one or more of the cylinders, enough to pressurize the crankcase and valve cover area. Oil is being pushed out of the rear main seal and trying to exit the oil filler cap. The compression check will reveal which cyl is the culprit.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Sounds like overfill and/or plugged galleys to me.

oil pressure was going down with lack of power ( was loosing a lot oil)
oil temp. far to high
coolant temp. up to 110 no coolant loss

I recently installed new head gasket - could this have moved enough to plug the oil flow? I was thinking along these lines already.

What about the pressure relief valve?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Combbustion gasses getting to crankcase, crankcase getting to combustion area...

I just had the head off (valve job done) - 500km ago - pistons were fine. I did a compression test after I installed the head and it was 190 across. I will do a compression test again later on today.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Combbustion gasses getting to crankcase, crankcase getting to combustion area...

I understand, but somehow right now, you are getting the gasses down in the crankcase where they don't belong. I'm not saying everying wasn't right just after the head job, but something obviously happened since then.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

A bit more Info.

oil was seeping out of filler cap right after head job. Yesterday oil was "running' out of cap at idle. Car was moving on flat road at about 100km but a bit uphill no power at all and smoking etc etc.

I guess I will take the head off again and see - will do the compression first.
I wish the gaskets up here (Canada) would be as reasonable as in the US...
Old 09-23-2005, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 1990 Audi 100 - to much oil pressure???

Update: car will not start this morning - even with #1 plug removed. There is to much oil on the piston (1+2). No sense to do a compression test under these conditions. Will take the head off later today and see ......
Old 09-23-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Before you take the head off, double check your breather hoses,routing...

sounds like the crankcase isn't "breathing". You mentioned the breather hose was pressureizing. sounds loke it is blocked and not venting to the itake manifold where it is supposed to be reclaimed by intake air. The intake is supposed to crankase vapors and redigest them. Could be when the head was done, maybe the array of hoses behond the head and intake are crossed. make sure none of the hoses, lines are blocked.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Before you take the head off, double check your breather hoses,routing...

I just pulled the crankcase breather hose/ intake boot. It is unusual full of oil - the oil is laying on top of the air sensor plate.
I found a hole in the rubber breather hose - I presume this busted under pressure and blow the oil onto the back end of the engine.

What I will do is replace the breatherhose and try to start but I think this was not the cause of it. What I probably will end up doing is taking the head of again.. and see......

Thanks