3.6 V8?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.6 V8?????

I know these are aluminum block engines, but do they have Nikasil or iron sleeves? I am looking at purchasing a 91 3.6 V8 with 112k on it.

Next question, the 3.6 shares the same bore and stroke with the 2.7T and I read they have the same connecting rods... So my question is, if I sourced 8 pistons and rods from multiple 2.7T motors, would they fit in the 3.6 V8??? Are the connecting rods in fact the same?

If you have pictures, please post them. I have heard a lot of mis-info on various forums, so proof would be nice.

Thank you

Phil
Old 09-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I shall post some pics of the rods and pistons that I've just pulled out of my PT engine later.

The bores are neither Nikasil, nor Steel supposedly. Part of my reeducation has introduced Alusil. I thought it was Nikasil too.

http://www.kspg-ag.de/pdfdoc/kspg_pr...audi_zkg_e.pdf
Old 09-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Irregardless(thats right, I said irregardless) if it doesn't have iron sleeves than how do you rebuild it? You need a fresh hone for the piston rings to break into. This is the big thing holding me back from buying an Audi V8.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No. No. and No.

The V8 "block" is considered a non-rebuildable unit. (notice I didn't day it can't be done).

So the crank mains, rods, rod bearings, pistons and rings "The Block"

This is all purely a go nowhere debate, as the pure costs involved in rebuilding a "damaged" PT or ABH block will out weigh the cost of the car and its replacement.

That said I know of less than 5 people who have done it to varied degress of success. He's not going to "tell you" how to do it, but if you want it done - Scott @ AdvancedAutomotion.com can do it for you contact him.

Typically the V8's block is a very well done piece that even after 180K+ miles the cylinder bores show little to no wear. The Cylinder Heads however.. the valve guides, seals and seats will just about be at the end of their useful life - this is where you would rebuild or replace (there was a time a year or so ago where AOA was dumping all its old "hard inventory" and you can get a complete head for ~200.00 NEW. You might want to look at a friendly dealer to see if they can see if anyone still have them around.)

Good Luck & Keep up the good fight - but saying that you're not getting a V8 because you cannot rebuild the block is the least of the problems. There are many many other NLA parts for the V8 not there anymore that would and should get your attention.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't understand why you wrote "No, no and no". But what you are saying is it is not cost effective to do so. I do not want to rebuild it OEM, I want to be able to put lower compression pistons in for forced induction. With no surface capable of breaking in the rings, tada, no rebuild.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No. the block is not Nikasil
No. there are no iron sleeves
No. if you sourced 8 pistons and rods from multiple 2.7T motors, would they fit in the 3.6 V8, not without making sure the rods were all "trued" to the V8's crank.

Regarding the forced induction of the PT or any of the 32V V8's, they only have a 4 bolt clamping circle to the bore, so stacking is tricky. and forget about high boost applications.

Marc at EFIExpress has a twin turbo V8 only running 4-6psi (IIRC).. any more is too much.