Blower motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower motor replacement

I am replacing my blower motor on my 86 5000 cs quattro. Does anyone have any insight on how to go about doing this?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 01-21-2008, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Re: Blower motor replacement

Remove "blower box" by disconnecting ducts, bowden cable and coolant lines under the dash of the car. Glove box, center console trim has to come out. So does the radio, driver side trim panel. Then you can unscrew and remove it from under the hood over the firewall.

Once out, disassemble slowly, with unit on it's side so the flaps don't fall out. If they do, have the Bently repair manual handy to properly reassemble it.

PITA. I've done it 3 times on my old '87
Old 01-21-2008, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

which side do i need to have it on so that the flaps dont fall out?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Along with Mr Bally's instructions, this might help (Link)

<ul><li><a href="http://members.aol.com/c1j1miller/climate.html#Heater%20blower">http://members.aol.com/c1j1miller/climate.html#Heater%20blower</a</li></ul>
Old 01-21-2008, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hopefully you haven't started down this path yet. IMHO, this procedure is more helpful for the heater core not the blower motor. The motor can be done in it's entirety from under the hood without disrupting anything inside the car, and it is what I'd recommend. Search the TWIKI or net for "Steak knife" method for a blow by blow. Has worked great on 2 of my typ 44's and should take about 1/3 or less of the time than following Bentley or the above.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm apauled Mike 8-0

You are correct in that you can...if just R&amp;R'ing the blower motor....do it W/O removing the box.
But the "steak knife"...anything but the "steak knife"..... ;-)
Old 01-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I'm apauled Mike 8-0

so what should i do?
Old 01-21-2008, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ron, YGM!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I'm apauled Mike 8-0

OK so I used a leatherman, second time a hacksaw and third a hot kno=ife which I also used to close it up. Either way, MUCH easier than touching the inside for just a blower motor.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default See this is why forums like these are such a great resource for all of us.

I personaly would never do the "steak knife" methode. I just think it's...well......hackish...not to be confused with Turkish ;-)

But then again I'm of the mindset that if your R&amp;R'ing the blower motor I'd do the heater core asw ell. Heater core is only $40'ish bucks anyway.....&amp; it a bit of a PITA for a 1st timer. When I did my 1st blower motor/heater core R&amp;R it took me all most 4hrs to complete. But I tell you I was quiet satisfied that I did it W/O messing anything else up.

But over your confusion....the best advice I can give you is to weigh your options.
Factor in the conditions you are under...cold, garage acsess or not, time, ect.....

I can tell you that I have mentioned to quiet a few listers over the years that if you remove the rubber elbow hose off the driver side of the blower motor box you can spray some WD40 in there on the blower motor brushes to keep the blower motor going for at least a few more months....maybe at that point it'll be a little warmer out..&amp; it'll be a more tolerable job.

Just remember that the blower box does not have to come out if you only descide to do the blower motor &amp; not the heater core as well. &amp; don't descide on the "steak knife" methode.

Good luck &amp; sleep well ;-)

Quick Reply: Blower motor replacement