Can a Brake bomb from C4 work on 200 20V?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 11:10 PM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can a Brake bomb from C4 work on 200 20V?

Hi.
Last year a bought a brand new ( from Febi) Bomb and the result was the pedal hard as a rock ( I posted that some time ago).
Thing is that I believe it had been stored for years and maybe the mebrane was bad. That part number I believe it was FEbi 14176, which would be 443612061H.

So, instead of searching for a new one ( again and taking a chance) I want to see of I have a problem with the bomb itself or something else ( My brake bomb seems to be OK as it passed the "brake pumping test"), the pressure switch near the brake cilinder was changed ( by a brand new one) but somehow, I still get the Brake ( red light ) coming on and off in the main, little screen ( Check control unit).

So, thing is I picked up from the yard a Bomb from ( I believe ) a C4 Audi 100, which has a part number: 443 612 061 B.

So, could I test the 443 216 061 B on my 200 20V?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2015, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The red warning light can result from misalignment of the sensor in the hydraulics reservoir cap or issues with the wiring there. I'd check that out if you can still pump the brake pedal with the engine off a dozen times before it becomes hard.

Any NOS "bomb" is likely to have had the nitrogen in it migrate through the bladder. You CAN still get it recharged by Dave Kase: https://sites.google.com/site/audicqturbo/audibomb

Last edited by Kneale Brownson; 05-02-2015 at 05:54 AM.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
The red warning light can result from misalignment of the sensor in the hydraulics reservoir cap or issues with the wiring there. I'd check that out if you can still pump the brake pedal with the engine off a dozen times before it becomes hard.

Any NOS "bomb" is likely to have had the nitrogen in it migrate through the bladder. You CAN still get it recharged by Dave Kase: https://sites.google.com/site/audicqturbo/audibomb
i still get the brake light warning coming on when everything else has checked out, I remember in the 80's when a Audi mechanic added no2 to the brake bomb as one as the maintenance procedures back then, it is hard now to find a mechanic to be able to work on the car without damaging something else....
Old 05-02-2015, 11:29 PM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi. Thanks.

About the misaligning on the reservoir cap, doesnīt this cap control the level ( which would should a little red light on the IP ( not on the check contreol unit)?
In any case, that reservoir cap was cchanged sometime back for a new one also.

About the electrics.....Is there an electrical diagram ( on Bentley) about this pressure switch ( on the brake cylinder) to track the signals ( in case something there is not right?)

On another hand, can I still check whether the bomb itself is making just a little less pressure by testing the one I got from the C4?

I contacted David Kase sometime ago, but he didnīt have any "square" type bombs left....I might be contacting him again for this, but I rather be testing it before even if with another "similar" unit.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2015, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by OMP
Hi. Thanks.

I contacted David Kase sometime ago, but he didnīt have any "square" type bombs left....I might be contacting him again for this, but I rather be testing it before even if with another "similar" unit.

Thanks
You can send Dave your "bomb" and he'll recharge that.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SUDDEN ACCELERATION
i still get the brake light warning coming on when everything else has checked out, I remember in the 80's when a Audi mechanic added no2 to the brake bomb as one as the maintenance procedures back then, it is hard now to find a mechanic to be able to work on the car without damaging something else....
There was no "maintenance procedure" for replacing the nitrogen in the accumulator. It's a sealed unit that has to be drilled and tapped and a valve inserted in order to replace the nitrogen. See Dave Kase's explanation of the procedure: https://sites.google.com/site/audicqturbo/audibomb