The Denver Trip from Boston in the 20v

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Denver Trip from Boston in the 20v

Well... I made it... never had to stop at a service station, get a tow, or do any major repairs! One minor problem that could have been a lot worse was my low beam relay burned or selection switch burned out at midnight on I-80 leaving me suddenly without headlights at 85 miles per hour. Whew... that's a rush... hit the emergency flashers, pulled over to the side of the road, thought about what to do... checked the fuses and then switched out my relay signal wire so the highbeams worked the lows and drove the rest of the way sans highbeams.

Somewhere along the way I started talking to my friend and said that I thought I could make the drive straight without stopping (driving the whole way myself) he called BS, so now it was a challange. We had left the prior morning at 5AM from foxboro MA, and some time around 2:00 AM towards the end of Iowa (which is a terrible place to drive through) we both realized that we needed sleep something crazy. So we pull into the last city in Iowa (C_____ Bluffs) to look for a hotel. Apparently I underestimated Iowas incredible drawing power because the first 3 motels we checked were all booked... we checked five more in another city... 150 bucks for a suite at a days inn... ehh... no. So we "slept" for 2 hours in a rainy walmart parking lot in the upright position because of all of the gear in the car, woke up miserably and got back on the road at 5:30 AM. We drove from here straight into Denver.

Nebraska is so long and terrible it makes very happy I don't live there. If I ever see another corn field I think I am going to shoot myself.

Overall time including a mistake in chicago that cost us about an hour, a few stops for gas and food, and the hotel searching which took a while was about 32 hours. I didn't give up the wheel once - it was a challange afterall.

Its a long drive - really puts a whole new light on 24 hour lemans races... that is for sure.

So far, Denver is sweet. We went out last night to a brewery in LoDo with my new roommate and had a blast. Its certainly different living in a place bigger than 25000 people (Keene and Dover NH, Glens Falls NY) but it seems like there are plenty of places for me to get myself in trouble here.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default congrats on not falling asleep and killing yourself in a corn field

denver is a pretty cool place, i cant say ive lived there but spent a good deal of time there. i lived in vail/beaver creek colorado for a few years. if youre into skiing/boarding go check it out, or if you just want someplace to go for fun i recommend it.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glad everything worked out... I need to check out Denver
Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Nice job...

I didn't think anybody was as crazy as I was a few years back. I bought my car in Chicago and drove back to Seattle by myself. Started in Chicago and drove 24 hours straight stopping only for food and gas. I too had trouble finding a hotel but gave up real quick and just caught 4 hours sleep in the back seat. 10 more hours straight after that and I was in Seattle. Made great time and only one ticket luckily.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default nice trip

I bought my S6 in Milwaukee and a friend and I split the driving back to Boston, about 16hrs total. Of course, we got on the road for about an hour and a half and decided to stop and have dinner with friends in Chicago for an hour, which turned into 5hr...oh well...
I wouldn't mind doing a coast-to-coast drive sometime. These 20Vs like the highway